Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Commissioner Cookie Monster

Planning Commissioner Cookie Monster

Thought everyone might like this recent motion by one of our Planning Commissioners. The Commisioner in question had been berating the Planning Commission clerk regarding the quality of the Costco cookies provided at the Planning Commission meetings. The Commissioner repeatedly requested Pepridge Farms chunky chocolate chip cookies and was told that cookies were not really the important issue at the meetings and the public who attended seemed to enjoy the cookies provided. After an important Special Meeting where the Planning Commission made recommendations to Council on annual Comprehensive Plan Amendments the Commisioner made this motion(This is direct from the minutes):

COMMISSIONER ________ MOVED TO HAVE STAFF IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES THAT ARE PROVIDED AT THE PLANNING COMMISSION MEETINGS. MONTION DENIED FOR LACK OF A SECOND.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would have seconded the motion. I love Pepridge Farm cookies... They have an outlet store not too far from here.

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997
    I will third the motion. I've been boycotting Keebler cookies since I heard about their sweatshop labor conditions...all those poor little elves trapped in a tree, forced to bake all day under oppressive conditions. There ought to be a law!

Just to let you know, I've forwarded this posting to my Planning Board. My guys have a communal candy hoard that they contribute to weekly and I'm responsible for keeping the bag in my office and bringing it to the meeting each week. Have gained 3 pounds in the three months on the job.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd make cookies a submittal requirement. Pass the cost onto the developer!

I don't know about cookies as a submittal requirement, but my Planning Commission does 8 A.M. Saturday morning fieldwalks of proposed subdivisions, and expects the developers to provide coffee and doughnuts. Developers are always reminded of this "informal requirement" at the meeting preceeding the fieldwalk. Since the Commission requires coffee and doughnuts of everyone, and has done so for years, this rtual does not buy any special influence.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning commissioner training
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2007, 3:00 PM
  2. Rural planning commissioner?
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Jan 2007, 12:52 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 2:04 PM