Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New urbanism and architectural styles

New urbanism and architectural styles

Why do architects who design buildings in keeping with New Urbanist principles seem to resort exclusively to historical arhitectural styles? Are there firms that are an exception to this rule? Is Modernism, for example, inherently inconsistent with sustainable planning principles - density, mixed uses, pedestrian orientation, mass transit, etc.?

<hr>

New Urbanism and Architectural Styles

Why is it that architects who seek to design buildings in a manner consistent with New Urbanist principles so consistently resort to historical architectural styles? Are there firms that are an exception to this rule? Could a sustainable city be filled with modern or contemporary architecture? How would that be inconsistent with urban concepts such as density, mixed uses, pedestrian orientation, mass transit, etc?

<hr>

Excellent point! I am now wondering as well, and looking. Maybe we should investigate. A quick thought is that modernist buildings are like a 'piece' of modern art, not a Neighborhood! Modernism is not assoicated to the historical notion of Communities. Maybe the place to look is in Venturi's Vegas? The strip is a throughly modern/silly neighborhood for the modern era! ( I know better, but it was fun to write)

Of course not! But like the "modern style" of residential architecture which was so popular back in the 60s only to find itself (along with Frank Lloyd Wright) thrown out of the (design) window in favor of the (faux) "neo classical" sty;e which now reigns supreme, it is just not in vogue these days!

For my money, I would love for us to pick up where F.L.Wright and his followers left off 30 years ago. The current neo classical craze makes me sick to my stomach.

New Urbanist neighborhoods are a huge risk for developers. To employ modernist architecture as well as recreating the urban program that Americans understand would be suicide. Therefore, developers return to the tried-and-true architectural styles of the past, notably with Spanish eclectic and neo-classical facades. The more pertinent question about modernist architecture is this: Why has modernist architecture not entered the mainstream in conventional housing developments? It must succeed there before it can be blended with new urbanist neighborhoods.

The attraction of New Urbanism is the neo-traditional city feel, which is complimented by 'old' styles of architecture.

I'll admit that the majority of New Urbanism projects so far have included buildings that are "old fashioned" in design. One TND project you might be interested in, however, is Middleton Hills located outside Madison, WI. The deign guidelines for this community include a "prarie style" architecture and some of the buildings that have been constructed are quite modern. The one commercial building is quite interesting (and doesn't look anything like the traditional corner store). For more information, you might try contacting the developer/architect at (608) 238-2122.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vacation 'styles'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:00 PM
  2. Furniture styles poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Jun 2009, 2:41 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 10:33 AM