Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: PlannerGirl, duck and cover!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Dan

In my experience, I find that military personnel who have just reentered civilian life are excessively polite, especially former Marines.

Semper Fi Dan, very well said!

As far as a reintigration period, you have to remember that probably 75% of the military is composed of members in HQ or support roles (beans, bullets, band aids) not the infantry.

When I was discharged I was debriefed by the CO of my unit, because I have a security clearance and was always in possession of classified equipment (communications stuff). I was a wireman/radio operator that was attached to a grunt unit, meaning I did all the same training as them, I just carried the damn radio.

I never had any debrief on not going out and using the tactics you learned on civilian targets. But then again, I was honorably discharged, and in the Marine Corps eyes a decent human being. Maybe we should follow those who are discharged under other than honorable conditions a little more closely, especially if they were trained in some of the more lethal stuff.

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Military only sharpend his existing skills

The Dude is a nut job - plain and simple -and I'll bet his peers and family in and out of the military knew it. The key is why nobody in his life missed him during this timeframe and why couldn't they guess it was him doing the work?

And it looks like he was a REMF in the Gulf.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

When I was discharged I was debriefed by the CO of my unit
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!

But I thought there was a "don't tell" policy on these things

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Whats a REMF? New term for me.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Whats a REMF? New term for me.
    Rear Echelon (Ahem..cough...)Military Fellow: It means someone who served in the areas behind the front lines: One not engaged in direct combat with the enemy.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Kinda like a poge? (sp?)

paper pusher that wants action?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan

That quote makes it sound as if the military is tjhe equivalent of prison. It's assumed that military personnel are psychologically stable -- they have to be to get in -- and that no "reintegration" into civilian society is necessary.
    It's true that part of the enlistment process is a psychological exam. I wonder, though....

I guess I would say thet PlannerGirl is right about some of the extreme military units - Seals, Rangers, Green Berets, Snipers, Airborne and the Coast Guard, for example. They are a bit psychotic. As for the rest, they are pretty normal. The problem is that you tend to get a bunch of poorly educated young men together and the situation - aided often by alchohol - is not one that encourages them to mature. It's kinda like a fraternity house.

The Army, in my opinion, could have done a much better job of transitioning us back after the Gulf War. None of us had the right expectations - of friends, spouses, family, work and so on. For most of a year these people and things went on without us. Coming back, I and many others assumed we would pick up where we left off, but it didn't happen. I was never able to re-connect with several good friends and lost my girlfriend of several years. The company I worked for had gone under while I was gone and I didn't find out until the day I landed back in the USA. A majority of the others in my unit had similar problems. The Army should have helped us to prepare.

Did this guy need help? Maybe. (Still, no excuse for what he did.)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Coast Guard thing was a joke right?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    The Coast Guard thing was a joke right?
    America's finest fighting force!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I tell you what, the powder puff uniforms are an intimidating factor to any of our enemies.

In all seriousness, I recently tried to enlist in the USCG Reserve, because I'm a firefighter/EMT (volunteer), and I wanted to try to do some rescue swimming.

They wouldn't take me without going to boot camp. So, needless to say, I didn't join.

Registered
    Oct 2001

He WAS a Screw Up.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-snipe31.html

I worked with the 84th Engineers in the Gulf. Weird - I may have met him once.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Profiler

Scoring; Bold is Correct. Italic is incorrect. No formating is still unknow.

Originally posted by El Guapo
    We all agree on the technical issues. I want to play profiler for a second.

My guess is this guy (maybe a buddy team) is a rural/small town white guy not from DC who is less than 35 years old with a high school education. He/they couldn't get into or were dismissed from the service for less than stellar performance, but not for physical reasons. He/they may have some sort of sexual dysfunction, and is probably a daily Marijuana user, and probable cigarette smoker. He/They feel they got a raw deal in life and have had a series of low pay/low responsibility jobs. Both will be above average in intelligence, and both will have had minor or “stupid” brushed with the law. Possibly the stronger one will have ADHD or be bi-polar. The lesser one will be described by his peers as a follower throughout his life of a strong friend. If it is a buddy team they will have only been friends a few years. I think that like the Anthrax killer, they just felt this was a good time to screw with the nation that didn't live up to their expectations. I bet that both still live at home with a single, older mother, and both work nights at a the same or similar menial jobs. Also, one of them is from a strong religious background.

Now when they capture or kill these guys we’ll see if I was even in the ball park.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Evidence of a third Sniper~!

OMG!

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Profile : A Counterpoint

As with EG's, my correct points are in bold:

The perp is a middle aged female. She is slightly overweight, most noteably with "bub-eye arms". She has one or more tatoos of a decidedly "butch" nature (the jolly roger, a dog paw print or the like). Chain smoker, probably Pall Malls or the discount brand available at the Cigarette Depot. A College drop out with dual incomplete majors in Civil Engineering an Womens Studies. Discharged from the univiersity's ROTC (Army Corps of Engineers track) program due to a combination of poor math skills, social dysfunction and personal hygene. Hates men. Hates women, especially the Martha Stewart craft store type. Hates high school students with math skills superior to her own.

Yeah, I got you beat on this one, EG...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Comparing the two; bturk, I think you nailed it. Sorry E.G. - had you included "bub-eye arms" you might have come closer.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

More at Cyburbia

1. The Aflac duck thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Apr 2011, 2:51 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 13 Sep 2008, 11:13 PM
  3. Happy Birthday, PlannerGirl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36