Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Free space architecture

Free space architecture

In response to: 'Free Space Architecture' posted by Melanie-Jayne Pittman on October 13, 1998 at 08:59:30:

I am researching a project on 'architecturally based sculpture' (Anthony Caro) and 'free space architecture', (Lebbeus Woods). I would be interested to know if anyone has any knowledge about free space architecture in particular, and what their opinions are on this subject. Do you think that architecture is becoming too sculptural?
    Will the distinction between sculpture and architecture eventually become completely blurred?
    If this happens will it be a good thing in terms of opening up further avenues for the other 'arts' to collaborate?
    Or do you think that perhaps one day every artist will be practising every type of art rather than one particular field, what will happen to the arts without particular areas of expertese?

I would be very grateful if someone is available to reply to the above, giving their own personal input.Thank-you, from an art student in Southampton, England.
    Just a few words on architecture becoming too sculptural. As we all know, architecture has become extremely sculptural due to a number of reasons. Two that first come to mind are the leaps in technology (CGI programs CSG modellers) and the hugely open and unfocused ideas of process and method. These organic forms that we see in architecture today (Bilbao Guggenheim, F.Ghery) have been accepted by the general public to the point where the architectural ideas are being brought into facets of life unrelated to architecture in any way (even into music videos,..ask around).

People see beauty in these highly sculptural forms because they the anti-thesis of everything they see around them (orthogonal form and parallel surfaces vs. organic and sculptural form). Though these organic forms are hardly new, their creation with new materials and costruction techniques have made them a marvel of far more than architecture. They represent advances in engineering, construction, freedom of will, and change in the way we, as a populous, think.

However, I DO believe that this is a short-lived trend even though the forms are widely accepted in the public eye, and will fade away if not for anything else, for economic reasons. But trends and fads have a way of returning (bell-bottoms) from time to time.

Architecture and sculpture?

Sure, and for obvious reasons.

But not ever to be taught on a large scale as a design method.

AJS - OSU

'Free Space Architecture'

I think you must see our web www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Theater/5156/

Aguila is practixing conceptual architecture in the multi-dimensionality. Very interesting if you are researching on"free space architecture". I hope you will like it.

Kindest regards,
    Las Colinas

Melanie-Jayne These are important questions to me too--my opinion is that defining boundaries for the arts (and most other things) is of very limited value to anyone other than art historians and market analysts. Once you've defined the "line" the only worthwhile thing left to do is cross it! We as a culture are too distracted by the assumption that if we have fit an idea into a category, then we understand it etc...We should be more concerned with transcending categories than fitting things into them-- that's when real beauty happens whether its art or architecture...I think the work of Leonardo, Gaudi, Wright, Coop Himmelblau, and Lebbeus Woods, etc.has achieved this state Also--for what it's worth, I heard Eric O. Moss (in a debate on this very subject!) say something to the effect that his are not "sculpture" in the vernaculrar sense--but can operate independently of it --they don't need and he does'nt want artwork (sculpture) to "help" make them "pretty"... Finally, I just wanted to say that I like what Michael Thomas had to say & also to recomend a book to you that I have gotten a lot out of, called "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger he is very articulate-Hope all this helps-I'd love to read you paper when you're done--email it!...Steve James

i feel u need to read my write up on
    kinetic architecture

Melany-Jayne, writing a review on woods I found your message surfing,

Although by now you've probably finished your paper, which I would like to read, I'd suggest you quit being interest in thee pure scuptural effect because I think that's not the thing woods architecture handels about. His very political and 'free-ing' and inspiring texts are more speaking of non-programmatical architecture, to be able to explore etc. But you will know that. I think woods work is not any more or less sculptural than any dull rectangular office building just because it is more complex. I think their differences lay in their openness to change towards the unpredictable. Or is this all too vague? Can anyone tell me wether Lebbeus has ever spoken about his work in connection with so called situationist ideas, deleuze and guattarri's rizhoom?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Free space?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Mar 2004, 11:00 PM
  2. Designing Space Architecture.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Dec 2003, 1:52 PM
  3. Free speech in Publicly funded - Private space.
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Oct 2002, 10:44 AM
  4. Concept of space in architecture
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Jan 2001, 4:48 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Aug 2000, 4:40 PM