Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stackwood/log/stone houses

Stackwood/log/stone houses

From host 207.164.213.104 using client Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 98))

Any info on DIY stackwood house plans...private rural setting in E. Ontario...possible utilization of natural stone and timber...professional input greatly desired....plans/blueprints/past successes and/or failed attempts.....thanx

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005

stackwood

Quote Originally posted by Mike
    From host 207.164.213.104 using client Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 98))

Any info on DIY stackwood house plans...private rural setting in E. Ontario...possible utilization of natural stone and timber...professional input greatly desired....plans/blueprints/past successes and/or failed attempts.....thanx
    no pro by any means ive been researching stackwood for some time now. one thing i found was to cut insulation strips and layer them in between your mortar beds on each coarse. im a masons helper in illinois i priced limestone at a local quarry for my foundation it was 270.00 per 15 ton delivered. they said that 15 ton would build a 270 square foot wall 1 foot thick.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The people you want to look up are Jack Henstridge in Upper Gagetown NB or Rob Roy out of upper NY state. PM me and I can provide contact info for either.

Jack's theory is any idiot can do it, after all he did. He has written a few books on the subject. He is also a family friend and helped my parent's build one for their workshop.

Sitting on the desk by my parent's computer is a new book on cordwood. The website for it is www.daycreek.com (have not read it yet, just passing it on)

Do you have any specific questions?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 29 Apr 2006, 4:15 PM
  3. houses built around houses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Jan 2004, 12:07 PM
  4. Stone Walls
    Design, Space, and Place