Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking and big box retailers

Registered
    Feb 2003

Parking and big box retailers

I have been asked to draft an ordiance that limits the amount of parking (impervious parking) for large retail projects. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I'm exploring the use of grasspave for overflow areas. However, how should we define overflow? Anything more than what our ordinance allows? Yes, but that assumes our Ordinance is good. BTW it requires 1 space per 250 sq. ft. of gross floor area.

Any suggestions?

Parking and Big Box Retailers

1 in 250 seems like alot. 1 in 500 is a low figure, most big retailers have their own figures for providing parking based on location and area trends in parking demand. Try setting a sliding scale of paved and grass block parking areas.

1 per 1000 sq ft paved and 1 per 1000 grass block
    or
    1 per 400 paved

This option would be a slight incentive to use grass block.

Parking and Big Box

In response to: Parking and Big Box posted by Gary on August 08, 2000 at 16:10:33:

Originally posted by (User Above)
    Four cars per thousand will be sufficient for 90% or more of the open hours of the retail stores unless they are exceptionally successful. You should get better data to back this up (Urban Land Institute publications, etc.) but having four paved spaces per thousand plus one or two well drained unpaved spaces would be an excellent solution. I wouldn't worry about grass pave unless your weather conditions require the possibility of frequent snow plowing. The grass parking area would be used very infrequently and should stand up to the light use required. The developer and retailers might object to the four space limitation but their own data, if they chose to share it, would demonstrate the feasibility of this solution.
    In my opinion and based solely on my observations, internet shopping is decreasing the demand for parking spaces. Most shopping center parking lots rarely fill up (not even close), and are designed for the Christmas shopping season. Last Christmas, I saw fewer and fewer parking lots filled to capacity. I expect this trend to continue, but I'm not sure how you convince the powers that it's here for good.

Parking and Big Box

Is this the Marty Allen who used to work for Gwinnett County? If so, I used to work with you. Hello from Lisa. Where are you now?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Parking and Big Box

Hey Lisa. Yep its me. I'm the Planning Director in Suwanee. Give me an email and we can catch up. mallen @ suwanee . com

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 4:24 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Aug 2005, 11:41 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 3:09 PM
  4. Recruiting Retailers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Feb 2002, 6:02 PM