Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thoughts on the American Dream

Registered
    Sep 1997

Thoughts on the American Dream

What is American Dream about? Tell me what you think of my take on it.

Oh, the site is at: http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/CapitolDr...ithRichard.html

Thoughts on the American Dream

Interesting essay, but I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make. If you are saying that suburbs don't cause serial murders, I certainly agree. Planners should not over-estimate their power. There are lots of things that new urbanism won't fix.

But if you are saying that the single-family detached American dream is still valid for everybody, I must disagree. It's not that it's a bad dream, it's just that it's not going to work for 250 million people. That dream depends upon being able to drive to work every morning in a reasonable time. That dream depends upon an unlimited supply of raw land (usually farm land) for more development. That dream assumes that central cities will somehow support themselves even when all the middle-class people live outside of town. That dream is breaking down all around the country.

So what do we do? Yes, high density development has its own set of problems, but what's the alternative? I simply can't believe that we can just go on doing what we have done since WWII.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 May 2006, 2:42 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 12 Oct 2004, 6:35 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last post: 02 Apr 2004, 10:58 AM
  4. The American Dream Downpayment Act
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 22 Oct 2003, 2:59 PM