In response to: Lot sizes posted by Catherine Tabor on June 15, 2000 at 09:59:31:

Originally posted by (User Above)
I have read extensively on the New Town Planning concepts. But the actual lot sizing is not clear to me, in order to "carve up" the land into lots. Do you have any references I might look for specifically on this?

However, what is the method of deciding on lot sizes. What are the standards when you go ahead and start trying to implement the New Town Principals beyound establishing Town Center and nodes.
The lot sizes are primarily a function of the particular use. For example a single family house approximately 2000 sq.ft. in footprint area can be accomodated optimally in a lot of 50 feet by 100 feet. There are various other demographic parameters that determine lot sizes.

Similarly commercial and other land uses have optimum lot sizes which are determined feasible both economically and architecturally.

The walkable distances theory is based on the neighborhood concept, where the distance is determined to be 400 feet.

In a large city context lot sizes, especially the frontage width is an important issue. A small differnece in property width can cumulatively add up to a substantial length at a city level. This indirectly calls for additional infrastructure and other services to extend further, promoting sprawl.

The key is to find the optimum balance considering all the various parameters both social, architectural and economic.

Binoy