Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning theory

Planning theory

I am a planning consultant for a Norwegian firm and currently working on a project where I need a brief overview of the development of different theoretical approaches to planning (strategic planning, rational planning etc.). This is perhaps embarrassing since I am an urban planner myself, but I cannot find an adequate and UPDATED overview and I do not have time to read x books.

I hope that anybody can direct me to a recent article etc. (I think I saw one in the APA Journal a few years back, but I cannot find it). All help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Planning Theory

I found an article from a symposium from 1995 involving Friedmann

It can be found in the Journal of Planning Education and Research Vol 14(3)

I think that it is published by the University of Illinois Champagne Campus.

Hope that will help you a bit.
    Kelly

Planning Theory

This response may not be fully relevant for a quick perusal of planning theories. But if you have time, it is worth trying the following source :

Harvard Business Review article :"What is wrong with strategy?" Nov-Dec. issue 1997. The author contrasts different approaches to strategy. A reader may get top-level inputs for strategic planning specific to his company.

My background : I am doing strategic planning for Motorola Global Software Division.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning theory
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Urban planning theory
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Jul 2011, 6:40 PM
  3. Theory: planning a resilient town
    Make No Small Plans