Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community design standards

Community design standards

Greetings,

I am trying to find a published list of community design standards.
    That is, the percentage of different land use catagories (commercial,
    residential, industrial,...) that are seen on average in
    urban and non-urban settings.

Does anybody know if such a list exists? I have an old publication
    on small town standards (mid- to late 1970s).

TIA

John Rozum
    Community Planner
    Gove Associates Inc
    Kalamazoo, MI

Registered
    May 1997

Community Design Standards?

John: Try Chapter 23 of Galion and Eisner's The Urban Pattern for some (mostly rather old) comparative land use data.It is the only relatively recent, relatively easy to find published source I have come upon.Beyond that all you can do is put out a plea for comparative data through various networks. A colleague and I sent out a query for land use data on cities of 30,000 to 50,000 a few years ago (89-90?) and got just one response (from Grand Island, NE). The City of Idaho Falls, ID (pop about 50,000) does have reasonably recent land data. Brian Tomsett at 208-529-1276 should be able to get that to you.I have data from the early 90s on one or two (I can't remember how many of those land use surveys we did) small (2,000-5,000) Idaho cities and one large western public lands county with a population of 60,000-70,000 (which has since changed considerably) in my dead files. If you are looking for data that is not really recent and for communities of that type/size, let me know by via email or by calling 208-232-1277. Also, I almost forgot! If you are looking at rural land use you can learn quite a bit (not everything) from the Census of Agriculture.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Big box design standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 3:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jul 2009, 2:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 8:03 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Dec 2000, 5:03 PM