Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Telecommunications and economic development

Telecommunications and economic development

I am seeking funding for doing a feasibility study of how urban areas can link to rural areas to enhance the growth of urban employers and stop the underemployment and youth flight of the rural areas. I have seen a few sources for information on the need for rural telecommunications, but haven't seen anything that addresses what I propose to study. Please let me know if anyone has some good insight here. Thanks.

Telecommunications and Economic Development

Sean, try TIIAP - telecommunications and information infrastructure assistance program - this is a grant resource for these types of projects. DOn't know if they provide grants for feasibility studies, but should know of some funding sources. e-mail to tiiap@ntia.doc.gov - Good Luck: I am seeking funding for doing a feasibility study of how urban areas can link to rural areas to enhance the growth of urban employers and stop the underemployment and youth flight of the rural areas. I have seen a few sources for information on the need for rural telecommunications, but haven't seen anything that addresses what I propose to study. Please let me know if anyone has some good insight here. Thanks.

Telecommunications and Economic Development

Sean,

Our fourth year studio at the University of Houston College of Architecture is embarking on a similar feasibility study related to inner city economic development through the concepts of tele-comuting, business incubation, and whatever else we can think of. We are collaborating with the City of Houston planning department on this and other efforts and I believe that they have applied for a small federal or state grant to help finance it.

I would welcome an opportunity to establish an iformation sharing relationship. Your proposed study sounds intriguing and I would like to periodically update myself on your findings. You, of course, would be welcome to my own results.

Good Luck and please e-mail me ! (email address deleted)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  4. Economic Development
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 7:42 PM