Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Toronto is overbuilt and needs more open space

Toronto is overbuilt and needs more open space

I am a student of Ryerson University. In my recreational geography class I have to participate in a debate that supports the following phrase: "Toronto is Overbuilt and Needs More Open Space." I am having trouble finding information to back up this statement. If anybody can provide me with any supportive information or has any knowledge of where I might find such info, please email me. Thank you very much.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Is this a joke ? Toronto is nothing like the sun belt suburbs that has almost no green space at all and building almost touching .

Just go to Phoenix,Los Vegas, LA and Miami it is day and night like Toronto with density and like no green space.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh.....Yeah......

Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    Is this a joke ? Toronto is nothing like the sun belt suburbs that has almost no green space at all and building almost touching .

Just go to Phoenix,Los Vegas, LA and Miami it is day and night like Toronto with density and like no green space.
    Yeah right......just don't forget that OPEN SPACE= Sprawl at least that's what the developers are always saying....and we know they're ALWAYS right

I've never been to Toronto, but a quick inspection of google Earth leads me to believe you should be able to make a case. Do each of those majore drainage ways have park/trail infrastructure? It kind of reminded me of the Miami-Ft.Lauderdale-West Palm corridor aerial view. But come on, there is plenty of open space in the other 3 million square miles (ahh....7.77million sq. kilometers??) of Canada that aren't developed
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post

Moderator note:
    In the future, check the date of the original post before you respond to a thread. Please don't reply to or bump such ancient threads such as these, which have seen their last post over a decade ago. The odds are infinitesimal that the original poster is still checking the thread for responses.

If you're interested in the subject of an old thread, we encourage you to start a new thread, and include a link back to the original.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Yeah right......just don't forget that OPEN SPACE= Sprawl at least that's what the developers are always saying....and we know they're ALWAYS right

That would be frog leap they call it .

e never been to Toronto, but a quick inspection of google Earth leads me to believe you should be able to make a case
    Well looking at the history books most areas out side of Toronto was built after WW2 .

Has for sun belt areas I would say it is not that much green to save and that is why it is so density packed.

A city on a desert is going be more density packed than build on trails and a ecosystem.

In the future, check the date of the original post before you respond to a thread. Please don't reply to or bump such ancient threads such as these, which have seen their last post over a decade ago
    I did not see the date I was doing search from the least post reply to the most post reply.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Open space: your definition
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 5:53 PM
  2. Non-permanent open space
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 Apr 2010, 12:42 PM
  3. Open space ratios
    Design, Space, and Place