6 37.50%
  • Ford Heights, IL

10 62.50%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: City vs. City #4: Seaside, FL vs. Ford Heights, IL

Registered
    Aug 2001

City vs. City #4: Seaside, FL vs. Ford Heights, IL

Seaside - planned by DPZ, expensive, elite (elitist?), lily-white, shiny and new, on the ocean, sterile, little industry

Ford Heights - master plan updated in 1961, very low income, leads the nation in unwed mothers, mostly minority, run down (run away!), near the landfill, anything but sterile, little industry

OK, planners, try this one.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I like a challenge....give me IL over the serility of Seaside.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've been to Middleton Hills(Middleton,WI), and at first I thought noone had moved in and that is why none of the shops had opened. Fast forward two years. The streets are like any other suburb except there are no kids in the street because the homes are too expensive and it was built away from any business so you still have to drive everywhere. All in all, a major failure IMO.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Bucky alum
    I've been to Middleton Hills(Middleton,WI), and at first I thought noone had moved in and that is why none of the shops had opened. Fast forward two years. The streets are like any other suburb except there are no kids in the street because the homes are too expensive and it was built away from any business so you still have to drive everywhere. All in all, a major failure IMO.
    I have watched it as well. It is slower to develop than most TND's because the Madison market is smaller, and it is developing slower than other subdivisions in the Madison market. On the positive side, it is at the least a good example of a mixed-density residential neighborhood. Over time and as the project develops out towards the highways (where more commercial is planned to cluster) I think that part of the development will come into being.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ford Heights leads by a nose. Anyone want to forward this post to DPZ? El Guapo?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Middleton Hills is being watched by just about every planner in Wisconsin. Most of us want it to work, and most of us would use it as a positive example of urban form. But we're all wary of the example for the reasons Buckyalum cites. "Downtown" Middleton is great and up-and-coming IMHO, especially the redeveloping west side towards the interchange.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Does anyone have any pics of these two communities?

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I like a challenge....give me IL over the serility of Seaside.

I have to say I'm with NH on this one. I've been to Seaside and was initially impressed by it's architecture and layout. But then I heard the horror stories about $300 nightly rates and $350,000 one bedroom cottages.

Just another goddamn yuppie theme park. So Ford Heights by default.

BTW, I tried to vote but the poll is closed. So it's at least 11-6

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 5:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 3:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 2:05 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 2:26 PM
  5. Replies: 51