Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Gated communities

  1. #1

    Gated communities

    requesting info on pros and cons of gated communities

  2. #2
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    229
    Mixed use zoning do not have gated communities and only pre -plan communities do .

    Its mostly use to stop people who do not live there from doing crime.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Playing at a movie theater near you
    Posts
    5,782
    Gated communities seperate neighborhoods and segregate populations. It creates communities of the have's and have nots. All gated communities do imo is give residents a false sense of security. In addition, residents have to pay and obey ridiculous hoa, which have included what you colors you can paint your house, how long you can park a car outside your house, and even how long a guest can stay (mainly from experience with Pulte/ DelWebb's Sun City Communities).
    No Signature Required

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,958
    This might be a good start:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gated_community

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,163
    Communitites without gates have HOAs as well.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,658
    Blog entries
    6
    Having grown up in a gated community north of New Orleans, here are some of my observations.
    1) The purpose of gated communities is to keep out "those people."

    2) In retrospect, I have wondered if the unintended purpose is to protect "us" from "them" or "them" from "us"

    3) There is still crime, it is just committed by the people inside the gates.

    4) Having a gate with uniformed security (in or case, a sheriff's deputy) is a hassle.

    5) Your security is comprised mostly of cops who are too old or too lazy to work or wanna-be's who couldn't make the cut at the police academy.

    6) Security is good for the residents, because security keeps out "those people" while at the same time does little or noting about the crimes committed by residents because they don't want to lose their cushy jobs.

    7) You know the public works workers, so things get fixed quicker.

    8) The lots and the public space is generally well-maintained. People do have a greater sense of pride.

    9) The golf courses are great places after dark to walk, recreate and engage underage drinking and pot smoking.

    10) Recreational facilites are good, but prone to vandalism by resident kids.

    and 11) They are not really a great idea, unless you live in a war-zone..
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  7. #7
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,739
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    Mixed use zoning do not have gated communities and only pre -plan communities do .

    Its mostly use to stop people who do not live there from doing crime.
    Moderator note:
    In the future, check the date of the original post before you respond to a thread. Please don't reply to or bump such ancient threads such as these, which have seen their last post over a decade ago. The odds are infinitesimal that the original poster is still checking the thread for responses.

    If you're interested in the subject of an old thread, we encourage you to start a new thread, and include a link back to the original.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian KSharpe's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the midwest
    Posts
    744
    Gated communities can also be a safety hazard- call the fire department and they don't have a key to the gate, can't find it, etc.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

  9. #9
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    9,168
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Gated communities can also be a safety hazard- call the fire department and they don't have a key to the gate, can't find it, etc.
    This was the main backlash from our last request. Police, Fire and Ambulance need some way of getting in there.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  10. #10
    Cyburbian vagaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Yo momma's house!
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally posted by Betty Carroll View post
    requesting info on pros and cons of gated communities
    These are pretty much elitist communities that segregate communities. We recently had a developer present a gated community concept and the Planning Commission basically said "hell no." Good for them!
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Luca's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,147
    I would be very hesitant to live in anything like a gated community.

    But I don't understand the reflexive distaste evinced by the posters above.

    Gated communities are a symptom, not a cause of lack of community spirit, surely. They are an attempt to regulate who gets near one's property/family and are based on real or presumed crime and nuisance issues which are of course of great interest to most/many. People have fences around their gardens and locks on their doors for the same reasons.

    I think somewhat more reasoned debate would be in order, rather than just facile generalizations.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Plan 9's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    194
    There is a saying in many western states that goes something like "good fences make for good neighbors". When you get into urban areas it changes to good walls make for good neighbors. With that in mind, you have to have a gate to get out of your compound!

    Think of gated communities as really, really old new urbanism harkening back to the Romans and even the ancient Greeks, therefore, it must be good.

    In most areas police and fire use "knox" boxes to get into gated communities. A knox box is basically an armored key box that has either keys or an overide for the gate in it. The knox box should all have a common lock so the FD/PD etc can get in while only carrying one key. (Of course if the key ever gets into the wrong hands...) I have also seen knock over walls and fences for emergency access, but for some reason the FD don't like to give these a nudge with their half million dollar engines, imagine that! (Police on the other hand seem to get a kick out of ramming their cars into them, hmmmm)
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

  13. #13
    Cyburbian KSharpe's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the midwest
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally posted by Plan 9 View post
    There is a saying in many western states that goes something like "good fences make for good neighbors". When you get into urban areas it changes to good walls make for good neighbors. With that in mind, you have to have a gate to get out of your compound!

    Think of gated communities as really, really old new urbanism harkening back to the Romans and even the ancient Greeks, therefore, it must be good.

    In most areas police and fire use "knox" boxes to get into gated communities. A knox box is basically an armored key box that has either keys or an overide for the gate in it. The knox box should all have a common lock so the FD/PD etc can get in while only carrying one key. (Of course if the key ever gets into the wrong hands...) I have also seen knock over walls and fences for emergency access, but for some reason the FD don't like to give these a nudge with their half million dollar engines, imagine that! (Police on the other hand seem to get a kick out of ramming their cars into them, hmmmm)
    As for the knox box, it wastes valuable time for the FD or PD to mess around with a locked box instead of getting to someone's house and putting out the fire. Of course, they chose to live there, so maybe they deserve it....
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,686
    The gated community in the town I work for is completely self sufficent. The residence rarely interact outside the walls. The pros are we get federal funds based on our gate community population even though they do not consume any of the resources. The con is...well they are prisons.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

  15. #15
    Cyburbian KSharpe's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the midwest
    Posts
    744
    What do you mean by self-sufficient? Does that mean that they have their own fire and police protection?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

  16. #16
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    9,168
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    What do you mean by self-sufficient? Does that mean that they have their own fire and police protection?
    Maybe not, but there have been their own security patrols, and I knwo that many in Colorado must maintain their own streets with regard to sweeping and snow removal. Often times when one is requested, the city will not call the internal streets "public" thus putting maintenance and repair of roadways on the HOA.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,686
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    What do you mean by self-sufficient? Does that mean that they have their own fire and police protection?
    Since they are prisons, yes they have their own police force and fire suppression team. Although the town's FD will respond if called. They also have their own wells and although I believe we handle their water treatment/sewers but I am not 100% sure.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

  18. #18
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    9,168
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Since they are prisons, yes they have their own police force and fire suppression team. Although the town's FD will respond if called. They also have their own wells and although I believe we handle their water treatment/sewers but I am not 100% sure.
    Hmmm... I've never seen one with its own FD. Maybe some of the bigger ones in Denver have them. Never thought of it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  19. #19
    Cyburbian vagaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Yo momma's house!
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Gated communities are a symptom, not a cause of lack of community spirit, surely. They are an attempt to regulate who gets near one's property/family and are based on real or presumed crime and nuisance issues which are of course of great interest to most/many. People have fences around their gardens and locks on their doors for the same reasons.

    I think somewhat more reasoned debate would be in order, rather than just facile generalizations.

    You want to get away from generalizations, but you presented one by assuming that people live in a gated community to avoid crime. I don't think that's the case in my community, which already has extremely low crime rates. So there must be some other reason that one would want to live in that type of community. There may be several reasons, but elitist attitudes are probably one of the top two, even though most people won't admit it and will say it's fear of crime.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Luca's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally posted by vagaplanner View post
    You want to get away from generalizations, but you presented one by assuming that people live in a gated community to avoid crime. I don't think that's the case in my community, which already has extremely low crime rates. So there must be some other reason that one would want to live in that type of community. There may be several reasons, but elitist attitudes are probably one of the top two, even though most people won't admit it and will say it's fear of crime.
    First, I think we need to be careful of dismissing someone's opinion (I moved to a gated community to avoid crime) and attribute it to some sort of personal prejudice ("no, you're just an elitist. I know the real reason and you do not").

    You'll note that my post referred to real or perceived crime issues. In reality I should have been more precise and refer to incivility issues (sometimes referred to a "quality of life" issues/crime). The issue isn’t just burglaries or murder, etc. It’s a matter of having control of your immediate surroundings. Which is incidentally why most places even have any kind of regulations as to what other folks can do on their land, ab origine.

    Property owners do not want to have to confront insolence or squalor on their doorstep. If you think that is ‘elitist’, that's your opinion but I submit to you that 99% of the population that is not a) vagrant or b) some mock-'street' college-kid wannabe is then 'elitist'.

    If the 'community' will not deal with incivility on its streets, people will retreat from the community insofar as they can.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Questions about gated communities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Feb 2008, 3:24 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Feb 2008, 6:44 AM
  3. Banning gated communities
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 10 Aug 2004, 11:24 AM
  4. Research on gated communities
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Oct 2003, 12:28 AM
  5. Gated communities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jun 2000, 7:54 PM