Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Long Weekend Plans?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Long Weekend Plans?

It's Thanksgiving weekend up here, is there a long weekend in the States too? (Columbus Day?)

I'm heading up north to Sudbury, where the wife's family is. Nice big dinner, look up some old friends, and watch sports all weekend.

Oh yeah, and we have to write our thank-you cards from the wedding too...lots of fun!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Go to Richmond Sunday so the family can meet Scott

tour the Egypt exhibit at the Smithstonian

sleep
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002

weekend

I have home repair to do before winter, but I might break away. I hear the steelhead are running up north.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 2001
    partake in an event that consists of riding mtb bikes and drinking(the Capt. morgan eliminator)

split and stack wood at my parents houe

turkey dinner with home made cranberry sauce(from the bog across the road), home made apple pie (own apples)

dad is working on a plum pudding with his own plums as well.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

Clydesdale race

Hey donk, how does the Capn Morgan Elimator race work.

I'm running in a race in two weekends with some friends. They stole it from Boston, where its a 10 Mile race but were only doing 3.

The Rules:
    At the start: Drink 1 beer eat a hotdog
    Run 1 mile
    Drink a beer eat a hotdog (repeat)

So at the end we will have eaten 5 hotdogs and 5 beers and ran 3 miles, quickest finisher wins. I'm in training, I can run 2 miles and drink 4 beers before I get sick. Gotta train some more. My secret (Coors light, just like water)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Gardening.. planing petunias, crocus, snapdragons, and pansies, and starting the bulbs, pulling up ulgy bushes, etc..
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Hey donk, how does the Capn Morgan Elimator race work.
    This is going to sound much worse then really it is, especially considering that everyone is over 30 and is somewhat responsible. But I am glad to hear that others do similar things. this is the 10th annual event. ussually about 20 of us do it.

Capt'n Morgan Eliminator Rules

1) Guys only. no wives, or girlfriends allowed.

2) Hard liquor only. Minimum quantity = "mickie" (pint, I think) My preferred drink is vodka and cranberry juice or tequila and grapefruit juice. How what you eat and drink tastes coming up is as important as it is going down.

3) It is a "poker run" about every 2 km we stop in the woods take a drink and draw a card.

4) the eliminator of the day occurs at these two tunnels under the road. they are the same length and parallel to one another. You race in heats against one another, not seeing where the other person is until there is one man left standing. Side bets and drinking are encouraged. (See item 1 about how things taste)

5) Goes on until all of the liquor is drunk, or we are getting too drunkto ride our bikes, or all cards are drawn. return to starting point where the winner of the poker hand is paid off. The winner is thenexpected to go and buy pizza and beer for everyone with his winnings.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Going up to NH. Do some biking in Wolfeboro. Having some friends coming up that are into that geocaching stuff, so I'll probably join them on a hunt. Mostly just chill and relax.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by statler
    Going up to NH. Do some biking in Wolfeboro. Having some friends coming up that are into that geocaching stuff, so I'll probably join them on a hunt. Mostly just chill and relax.
    Chalk up another tourist for us. I think that brings the estimate to 50,001 anticipated tourists this weekend.

Seriously, this is a busy tourist weekend here in NH (leaf peepers)....so I'm staying home for the weekend, playing with my daughter, while my wife spends some time with her cousin and a friend in MA. Good weekend to catch up on sleep and try to kick this nagging head cold I've been fighting over the last week or so.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

Its not a "holiday weekend" here.

We just dont get mail Monday. Otherwise business as usual.

I might go to Chicago for the weekend though. Always a fun time...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I flew into Vancouver (BC) and then drove down to Seattle for the weekend. It was beautiful... it was so nice to return to my old stomping grounds.

I was disappointed to find out that NOAA has closed down the Sound Garden to the general public on the weekend and that it has gone into disrepair. It was one of my favorite places in Seattle. Another fun thing ruined by 9/11.

I made it back up here to cook Thanksgiving dinner last night... my boyfriend's children were disconcerted with the gravy I made since it was country gravy and not standard Canadian poop-brown gravy. The horror, the horror! They ate it anyway and lived to tell about it...

It was an awesone weekend... did all the other Canadians have a nice Thanksgiving?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Thursday - Friday - GIS conference in Syracuse
    Saturday - Sunday - Camping Trip with my mom's all female canoe club in the Adirondacks. Good paddling, but rained out Sunday night.
    Monday - did laundry from camping trip - planted bulbs for spring (yay!) cleaned out garage so that we can put the car in it again in anticipation of winter (predicting snow this week - no accumulation though).

It was a really nice weekend.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by nerudite
    It was an awesone weekend... did all the other Canadians have a nice Thanksgiving?
    It went by too quickly, and the traffic coming back down from Sudbury yesterday was horrible - took an hour and a half longer than usual. (5+hours instead of just under 4). Still, a beer, a left-over turkey sandwich, and the Leaf game on TV and I was a happy camper again, at least until the Leafs started sucking ass halfway through the game...but I digress.

Still have a ton of leftover turkey/broth/gravy in the fridge. My mother-in-law bought a 25lb turkey, to feed 6 people...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner

Still have a ton of leftover turkey/broth/gravy in the fridge. My mother-in-law bought a 25lb turkey, to feed 6 people...
    Yeah... my boyfriend bought a 15 lb turkey for two adults and three kids. I'm not sure what he was thinking? Anyone have good recipes for leftover turkey? I was thinking of a curry/turkey/lentil soup.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by nerudite

Yeah... my boyfriend bought a 15 lb turkey for two adults and three kids. I'm not sure what he was thinking? Anyone have good recipes for leftover turkey? I was thinking of a curry/turkey/lentil soup.
    Not sure if this would work for you but....

My mom typically makes a french meat stuffing on thanksgiving (ground beef, ground pork, bread stuffing and seasonings) and usually makes a cassarole with leftover turkey, stuffing, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Kind of a turkey version of "shepherds pie" or "chinese pie."

I sometimes like the cassarole better than the TG dinner.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hey NH - do you have some french in your background? Those foods you described come right out of my wife's family cookbook. The "french" stuffing is awesome.

My wife will be making Turkey a la King, and Turkey soup this week. I was toying with the Curried turkey idea too, Nerudite.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Hey NH - do you have some french in your background? Those foods you described come right out of my wife's family cookbook. The "french" stuffing is awesome.

My wife will be making Turkey a la King, and Turkey soup this week. I was toying with the Curried turkey idea too, Nerudite.
    I would be 1/2 French, 1/4 Irish, and 1/4 Scottish.

The meat stuffing is my favorite part of thanksgiving and christmas. My wife experienced it for the first time last year, and hated it....said it looked like cat food. Needless to say, she's glad Turkey day is with her family this year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner

I would be 1/2 French, 1/4 Irish, and 1/4 Scottish.
    Wow. A real euro-mutt like me!

So with that heritage, you're good at rettreating before being conquored?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by bturk

So with that heritage, you're good at rettreating before being conquored?
    You been talking to my wife?? :p

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just teasing, NH.

Sounds like a new thread though. Be right back...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Plans for the long weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Feb 2004, 10:02 AM
  2. Long Weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Aug 2003, 7:33 PM
  3. Plans for the Long Weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club