i'm going to be graduating from UVA with a BS in architecture
    in may and i'm looking for a job that combines arch and HP. i
    don't want to be sitting in front of a computer....i love going
    out into the field. i've done HABS/HAER documentation during
    the summers. are there any organizations or firms that concentrate
    on preservation that you know of?

architecture AND preservation

Hi Susan:

I am also going to be graduating soon, from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada with a degree in Urban Planning. I too am going to be interested in knowing where preservation planning/architecture firms are in the United States and Canada.

I have searched long and hard for these kinds of firms and I have come across quite a few so far. I think this area is more field-oriented any way, since you have to actually go out and look at buildings. One firm that really sticks out in my mind is a place in New York City called "Building Conservation Associates" and they employ planners, architects, artisans and such. This firm is working on a magnificent New York (Morningside Heights) landmark called the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine.

B.C.A.'s site is www.bcausa.com/

There are many others which I will have to get back to you on, I found a great site listing these kinds of firms, but can't think of it at the moment. I'll get it on here as soon as I can find the envelope which I wrote it all down onto!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 May 2007, 3:06 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 10:38 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  5. preservation forum?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help