Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Doo-wop architecture

Doo-wop architecture

I am interested in any information related to this up and coming form of revitalization/preservation. Is anyone aware of any other cities like Wildwood NJ who are implementing this revival for tourism development. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Vanessa

"Doo Wop" Architecture

In response to: "Doo Wop" Architecture posted by Katherine on July 18, 1999 at 10:55:23:

Myrtle Beach, SC could benefit from capitalizing on its "doo wop" architecture. There are several blocks on the south end of the beach with distinctive ornamental concrete work. Rent "Shag: the Movie" for some glimpses of MB. I have: talked with a few motel owners about cooperative advertising to capitalize on their fairly unique strutures.

I grew up near Wildwood. MB does not have as many buildings, but they are fairly concentrated. One, Rainbow Court, is listed on the National Register. Several others are eligible. I had talked with one of my professors at Goucher about creating a non-contiguous district.Does this help?
    I'm the Downtown Redevelopment Coordinator for the City of Myrtle Beach, and I love the idea of bringing out the old "doo wop" architecture in our area. We currently have plans for the south end of our beach to become a mixed-use neighborhood, with lots of year round residential uses mixed with renovated mom & pop hotels (low and mid rise), bed & breakfasts, beach bungalows, neighborhood-size pubs & markets, etc. We havn't zeroed in yet on actual architectural style for that district, and I love the doo wop idea. Does anyone know of any design publications that describe this style? I realize even defining it is a new concept, but in order to sell the idea I'll need to describe it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

"Doo Wop" Architecture

While I'm not sure that the terms "Googie" and "Doo Wop" are interchangable, they are certainly very similar styles. I would check Alan Hess' book, "Googie: Coffee Shop Modern." For more information check my Googie website:
    http://home.fea.net/~cjepsen/Googie.htm

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. MUP to architecture
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2010, 3:55 PM
  3. Architecture
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0