Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Senior project - historic preservation

Senior project - historic preservation

I am planning to do my senior project on a historic preservation issue. There is a property in the city where I live that was built back in the 1930's and has a good deal of cultural significance to the Portuguese people within the community. I would like to get this property recognized as a landmark by the state of California. Does anybody know the process. Please help.

Please help me

You should contact the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of California. I am a historic preservation consultant and have written numerous nominations in Florida and Georgia. It is a lengthy process, probably more than you want to do (and time involved, sometimes more than a year). Each state is different. In Florida, we do not have a state register of historic places but only list resources on the National Register or on local (usually city or county) registers. I have a number for California (it may be old). It is 916-653-6624. It is noted as being the Office of Historic Preservation, Department of Parks and REcreation. The statewide nonprofit organization is California Preservation Foundation. That number is 510-763-0972 in Oakland. You may also want to contact the western division of the National trust for Historic Preservation in San Francisco at 415-956-0610. As a consultant, I get paid to write National Register nominations and you may want to consider approaching the owner of the proproperty and try to get a stipend for your work. Good luck. You may want to consider entering a graduate program in historic preservation due to your interest in this field. I love it. There are several around the United States. I know there is one in Oregon. Sherry Anderson: I am planning to do my senior project on a historic preservation issue. There is a property in the city where I live that was built back in the 1930's and has a good deal of cultural significance to the Portuguese people within the community. I would like to get this property recognized as a landmark by the state of California. Does anybody know the process. Please help.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 10:57 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Mar 2010, 12:16 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jul 2009, 9:42 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Aug 2006, 12:10 AM