In response to: Seeking information on Hilbert Dahl, Landscape Architect. posted by Juliet Martinez on September 30, 1999 at 13:00:28:

Hilbert Dahl was a landscape architect based in Louisville, KY, who designed the gardens at the Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette IL in 1951. I am looking for information regarding other work he did, what if any of that work is still around. I am working on the restoration of the gardens at the Baha'i House of Worship and would find background info on Dahl very useful.
Thanks very much,
Juliet
Juliet:

I can't give you specific information about Hilbert Dahl, but I can suggest some search options. I researched one of the first graduates of the Harvard School of Landscape Architecture (one of the nation's first Landscape Architecture schools), Thomas Warren Sears, for a undergraduate independent study my senior year. Find out were he graduated from, the school might have some of his works archived if they were featured in popular magazines or other, also, where did he live? The local library may have kept articles or anything he may have published (plans of gardens, etc.) since he was a "famous" local. HABS/HAER (Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service) inventories everything. they also have some information about planned gardens(please don't quote me though, I know they have the information but how complete or well organized it is at this moment I could not tell you, I have not had the oppurtunity to look for myself.) BUT do go to the current ASLA - they are bound to have something one him if he was a registered landscape architect. good luck!