Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do I switch from planner to landscape architect?

How do I switch from planner to landscape architect?

I'm a postgraduate planning student with a special interest in urbanism and architecture. I am thinking about switching to a career in landscape architecture. However, I am unsure how to go about it. Do I need to retrain in total? If so where are the better places to go worldwide and what are the particlar focus areas of landscape architecture? Is it possible to be an urban planner with architectural experence? If so where can I get this experience from (full-time/part-time/volunteer)? My degree programme is almost over and I'm job searching. So this information would greatly help me. Please help me if you can. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

How do I switch from planner to landscape architect?

Hi. I am in the same situation as you are. I obtained ma Masters degree in Urban Planning in 1992 and I have been working as an urban planner since. However, my first love has always been in playing with urban spaces. I enjoy looking at spaces where hard and soft landscapes are mixed in such interesting manners. I decided to go to school again and take another degree in landscape Architecture. For me, it is not easy in my present location finding a school offering an MLA degree. So I decided to start from the BSLA. I am currently preparing to enroll in the BSLA program at a university near my work place. I am certain this will give me fulfillment. You can email me, if you so wish to discuss further. Thanks.

To Taiwo

Thanks for the response. I seem to be having problems sending my email recently. I'll send you an email as soon as I'm up and running again.

I definately wish to discuss this issue further.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Sep 2013, 9:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Aug 2008, 1:18 AM
  3. Is it better to be a younger landscape architect
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 6:48 PM
  4. Why did you become a landscape architect?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Aug 2007, 4:57 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Nov 1999, 2:14 AM