Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Today ... a code enforement nightmare

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Today ... a code enforement nightmare

This morning, on my way into work, I was greeted with a level of snipe sign proliferation that I've never encounter before.

48 political signs for Buddy Dyer (a Democratic candidate for Florida attorney general) and 16 signs for Jeb Bush (you know who he is) were placed along a three kilometer stretch of the major street in the town where I work. The ROW was clear the day before, so someone was jonesin' for littering the right-of-way that night.

I don't care who put up the signs ... those candidates just lost my vote. I already sent warning notices to the Dyer campaign, but apparently, because this is a small town, they were probably just tossed in the trash. I was so pissed off, I called the Orlando Sentinel ... "I've got a story for you." No return call yet.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More signs

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Part two.

First off, the town where I work prohibits new prefabricated buildings.

I was told about this beaut a couple of hours ago. This just went up along one of our scenic corridors, where we have very tough architectural, site planning and landscaping requirements.

No building permit review. No site plan review or Town Commission approval. Just a redneck "yup, let's put 'er up!" attitude demonstrated here. "If they can do it Wintuhgahrduhn, by Duyyul, I'm doing it here, too, whether they allow it or not."

Sigh.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wash your hands of it - CE will never get finished before you go, so you might as well pawn it off on the Town Manger and don't stree out about it.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Nice truck in front of the pre-fab, but somebody stole the front license plate with a red "3".

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    They must know you're leaving Dan!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by bturk
    Wash your hands of it - CE will never get finished before you go, so you might as well pawn it off on the Town Manger and don't stree out about it.
    I'm working on staff reports for my last Town Commission meeting. Two land use requests are from the owner of the property where the new shiny steel building just went up. I just changed my recommendation.

Staff recommendation

Continuance of ZMA 2002-09, to a date certain.

Planning staff originally recommended approval of this land use request. However, staff has recently discovered that extensive illegal construction has recently taken place at the West Orange Lumber property to the east, which is owned by the applicant. The unpermitted construction consists of new, large metal buildings, which were built without any review or approval by Town planning, engineering staff or the Town Commission; do not conform to the architectural design, landscaping and site planning requirements of the Old Town Corridor overlay requirements; and may also violate other town regulations. Planning staff does not advocate the approval of land use requests from applicants who flagrantly ignore Town building and zoning regulations.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Be just as committed to the city's welfare as they were to yours.

Seriously. Now is the time to coast. Get that 20 hour work week in. Hell, cut 'em a building permit and a certificate of occupancy on your way out the door your last day. Hell, approve a 200 ft pole sigh that consists of a rusty peterbuilt 18 wheeler tractor and trailer painted pink, with neon trim saying "Vasectomy reversal Call 1800 FIX-DICK"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Nice truck in front of the pre-fab, but somebody stole the front license plate with a red "3".
    Here's a recent street scene for you, straight from "the town next door."

Someone ought to declare the generic white pickup truck with a shiny metal toolbox in the bed the official vehicle of West Orange County, Florida. If not that ... a Heil dumptruck will suffice, considering they make up one in 20 vehicles driving along SR 50.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Taken not too long ago. Traffic in "the town next door."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More traffic in "the town next door."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm surrounded!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Uhhh ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Uhh ... Can I have a Puerto Rican sandwich and a Caucasian hamburger to go with that?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Apparently, the Black BBQ is quite popular with the general contractors in "the town next door."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More in the town next door.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More traffic next door. Do we see a common theme here?

At the far right of the picture ... a white Chevrolet van with a ladder rack. PlannerGirl ... look out!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More next door.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    "It ay-unt uhh-glee enuf! Yew Yankees, y'all trying to purtee uhs uhp lahk uh buunch uhv girls or sumthin."

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan,
    Can you bring me a JEB when you come up to visit?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Is the guy's name "Dwyer" or "Dyer" ??

If it's Dwyer the jokes on him....

I hate political signs. Especially when I see them months after the election. Ed Rendell (running for PA Governor) is notorious for them. They are still littered everywhere from the primary.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    HEY! I own that exact style and make of truck!

*grumble*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    HEY! I own that exact style and make of truck!
    Maybe ... but it ain't properly Wintuhgahrduhn'd unless y'all get yourself these.

A dang 'ol shiny tool box.

A dang 'ol CB antenna.

A dang 'ol CB radio, modified so you can talk on the "extry channels."

The proper respect for the new Holy Trinity. Father, son and track. You best put that sticker up in a place where you'll always see it in your rear view mirror, boy, so you'll never forget that lap at Daytona ... sniff ...

Can't forget to get one of these, though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Nightmare record producer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Mar 2012, 6:04 PM
  2. Another worst nightmare.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Dec 2008, 10:16 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 04 Oct 2008, 1:00 AM