Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I enjoy toying with the trolls...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    El Guapo is my hero.

*sigh*

:*)
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Thanks for some dignity

Originally posted by mugbub1
    I've taken steps to get out of this of a job/career, but it's going take awhile. No need to bash me Mastiff, I've got a feeling you're in the same boat- sorry about the AICP remark (albeit true) I'm sure you an somewhat ok planner. The retard jokes and homophobic sabaotge of my account really sets a new low, but I'm willing to forget it. I feel like saying a Rodney King quote.
    I was working on templates earlier today, and I discovered that I broke a couple, one being the user profile template. Nobody was able to change their user profile today. However, as on most vBulletin, UBB, phpBB, and similar boards, the mods here have a lot of power, and when you don't play nice ... they won't either. (Fortunately, they didn't have to use the dreaded VW Cabriolet avatar on you!)

Anyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.

Code enforcement isn't exactly planning per se, but often it's a job function that's cast on current/development review planners. For some reason, you'll see CE ads mixed in with planner ads online. In smaller agencies, a planner may be responsible for a particular aspect of code enforcement, such as zoning or sign code enforcement. In small towns, the planner often does all code enforcement; junk cars, overgrown lawns, the shed built without a permit. If your "planner" job places a heavy emphasis on code enforcement, and it begins to occupy the majority of your job functions, you're typecast. The mold is set.

I don't know if there is a way out or not. How does a development review planner become a comprehensive planner? Maybe start from scratch, but employers may see a resume filled with years of development review, and think "overqualified." Move horizontally, if you're in a large agency? Hard to do, since it seems like comp planners are more entrenched than current planners. The only surefire way I can think of is to get into a smaller agency where planners have to take on a wider variety of roles, comp planning isn't farmed out to consultants, and there's a full-time code enforcement officer.

CE sucks. I'm the acting CE officer in my tiny agency, and it sucks up a disproportionately large amount of time. Public contact ... watch it triple or quadruple if you go on a sweep. I'd had to deal with women crying for Jesus, threats from lawyers, threats from rednecks who believe that taking away their three or four "projects" is the equivalent of chopping off their manhood ... it's frustrating as hell, and it's hard to leave at the office when you go home, especially if you live in the same municipality where you work.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Thanks for some dignity

No need to bash me Mastiff, I've got a feeling you're in the same boat-
    Not even close. My job is difficult, challenging, and makes a difference in the community. I love it. I bellyache like the next person, but if I didn't have to work hard, I wouldn't be here.

sorry about the AICP remark (albeit true) I'm sure you an somewhat ok planner.
    Don't be sorry... I'm sure not. I have been okayed to sit for the AICP exam for several years now, but refuse to take it. If you want to read why... here is the link:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...highlight=AICP

You are right, however, that I'm an "ok" planner. If you knew all my job entailed, you'd realize that being an "ok" planner is a good thing. I'm in charge of all community services. At my last job, I was also assistant city administrator. Once again, if it ain't a challenge... I'll move on. I've been at this job for 10 months, and have garnered this city over 1/2 a million dollars in grants, that *I* will personally administer. What do you do?

The retard jokes and homophobic sabaotge of my account really sets a new low, but I'm willing to forget it.
    No... Don't "forget it". You reap what you sow. If you choose to paint me, and others here, as lazy bums... I'll be more than happy to paint you as an imbecilic twink! Just remember... We aren't laughing AT you, we're laughing BECAUSE of you.

I feel like saying a Rodney King quote.
    Wonderful... You finally have it right. Come into someone else's neighborhood, act like a drug crazed freak, fight... and then complain when you get your ass kicked.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001

you get

two *snaps* in Z formation-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Thanks for some dignity

Originally posted by Dan

IAnyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.
    I couldn't agree more. My first planning job was in economic development. I have loved it ever since and do it very well. Trouble is, I am also a very good long-range planner. I would like to find a job that had me doing more of this planning, but it seems as if I will always be cast as just an economic developer. You would think a consultant out there might realize the benefits to this combination of skills.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: Thanks for some dignity

Originally posted by Dan

Anyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.
    You were discussing "small towns" later on in this post, and I think those are the places where you can build a skill set that makes you change to different positions.

However, it does tend to make you a "small town" vs. a "big city" hire. The big city jobs want to pigeon hole a person into one area, while the small towns need more variety. Personally, I like rural, and really like variety... As long as there is a city somewhere in the proximity.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001

Bygones are Bygones Muggie

In forums like this, the tone and inflection of ones' meaning can be easily lost, and harsh words can easily take on a very harsh tone. I also apologize for getting on your case - lets all be a bit more civil from now on.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Until something better comes along, here's a little momento for your desk top.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 9:57 AM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 10:51 PM
  3. Yoopers vs Trolls Deathmatch
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 30 Nov 2006, 11:10 AM
  4. Replies: 26