Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Aging Driver Policy [Temp 1]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Aging Driver Policy [Temp 1]

After reading this interesting article: http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0903/p09s02-coop.html

I must say that they're right! Old people drive only because Public Transportation is bad...

And the demographics of the US is aging quite steadily, and there should be concerns about this issue in all aspects, not only transportation, but health, education, etc...

Here in Chile, we're also starting an aging demographic phase. Right now the predominant age group is the young adults and we are showing a decrease in the birth rate and death rate. My grandfather is over 80 years old, and still drives (but he has to go to a rural town to get his licence :P), He has to drive, because both of my grandparents have difficulties for moving... and public transit stinks here (and elder people have to pay the regular fare, which I find completely unacceptable)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Originally posted by SkeLeton@Sep 4 2003, 10:55 AM

I must say that they're right! Old people drive only because Public Transportation is bad...

I agree, they do. The worst part about it is there is little the US does to control this. They have stricter restrictions on new drivers, but old people… not even close. We talked about this on another forum… (ah… the old site)…

I think that old people need yearly check ups if they want to keep there license.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Even if public transportation were twice as good as it is now, there would still be a problem. Firstly, many people of any age simply do not want to take public transportation. They want the convenience and mobility of their own car (or Segway :P ). Secondly, there are people who cannot be be served by a public transportation system of any sort, without making major changes in their lives. I am thinking herre of all the old farmers I am constantly running off the road because they are afraid to go faster than 40 MPH. If we did have better controls on who gets to drive (along with much better enforcement) that would be the first step to people making the lifestyle changes that age dictates, as well as increasing demand for better transit.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    In these "old drivers" threads, it would be interesting to know the age of the "make the geezers take annual tests" commenters. Are there any70 year olds in Cyburbia who think there should be more frequent tests for older drivers?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It seems like a good idea to make ALL drivers retake their driving test every 5-7 years. That way the AARP coulldn't scream about age discrimination and maybe alot of those bad drivers in their 30's or 40's could be taken off the road as well.
    It makes no sense for a person to only have to take the test once at age 15 or 16 and then continue to drive the rest of their lives with a simple vision test every 5 years as the only tool for gauging of their abilities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Aging urban housing
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Nov 2013, 11:42 AM
  2. Land use: general Aging in place
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 4:43 PM
  3. Mobility and aging
    Transportation Planning