Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never ending Bike thread [Temp 1]

Registered
    Sep 2001

Never ending Bike thread [Temp 1]

Just got back from a site visit, that included dropping my mtb off for an oil change. While there I ended up buying a new Giro Pneumo Helmet, special lance armstrong edition for really cheap ($160 CDN tax in). Don't worry MikeD, i won't put the visor on it. I'll probbaly peel teh lance armstrong stickers off of it too. Hope that is stylie enough for you.

I also bought my first camel back. The only reason i bought the camelback is to hold my helmet light's battery for night riding (mtb only). Don't worry Mike, I won't road ride with it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I haven't gone on a ride in mi mtb in quite a while... and it's very boring to ride alone or in the rain. So that explains why I don't ride too much... I can only ride it for like 4 months or so a year...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hopefully going to get the bike out of the storage locker and fixed up next week. I hope to be riding into work before the end of September.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    learned a valuable lesson over the weekend
    have eat more before I go out for a ride longer then 45 min.
    afterward tested my blood glucose - way too low under 60 - big hurt
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    JNA, for somewhat humourous eating suggestions, check out bicycling magazine. Each month they say if you ride this hard you get to eat this. Considering it sounds like you are a diabetic, you may also want to talk to your Dr., a cycling coach or a nutritionist for their advice. I never worrry about eating on rides less then 2 hours.

When I did my 180 km/6.5 hour ride 2 weeks ago here is what I ate and drank

3 large water bottles - water
    2 600ml cokes
    2 gatorades
    8 mollasses cookies
    2 granola bars.

I should have eaten more earlier, but the pace we were setting was a bit too high to eat.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by donk@Sep 4 2003, 04:54 PM
    I also bought my first camel back.
    An ex b/f wore his camelback all the time... I started to think it was permanently attached. It was a wee bit geeky wearing it round town!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Like I said about the camel back, i only bought it to have a small pack for my light's battery pack that is too heavy for jersey pocket. Night riding in the woods is soo much fun. We got stopped last year by the cops because they were curious if we were "jacking" deer.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by donk@Sep 4 2003, 09:45 PM
    Like I said about the camel back, i only bought it to have a small pack for my light's battery pack that is too heavy for jersey pocket. Night riding in the woods is soo much fun. We got stopped last year by the cops because they were curious if we were "jacking" deer.
    Thats disgusting!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Whee! We have a TROPICAL STORM moving in today and my son made me go biking with him after I picked him up from school. Hey, he was right, it was cool out for FL in Sept, but very, very wet. Kinda fun, though; I haven't biked in the rain in, well, way too long.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess@Sep 5 2003, 12:28 AM
    Whee! We have a TROPICAL STORM moving in today...

Of course they finally get a storm after I have to go back to NoVa. Very evil of Mother Nature. I love tropical storms because its so much fun watch all the Yankees freak out about their house that they bought in low lying areas get flooded. Tee hee. Good Floridian fun!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Trail Nazi+Sep 5 2003, 12:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trail Nazi @ Sep 5 2003, 12:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Zoning Goddess@Sep 5 2003, 12:28 AM
    Whee&#33;  We have a TROPICAL STORM moving in today...

Of course they finally get a storm after I have to go back to NoVa. Very evil of Mother Nature. I love tropical storms because its so much fun watch all the Yankees freak out about their house that they bought in low lying areas get flooded. Tee hee. Good Floridian fun&#33; [/b][/quote]
    JUst like tornadoes, tropical storms/hurricanes seek out trailer parks. The land of the bitter Yankees...

I did an hour ride at sunset this evening -very nice out. I&#39;m getting up at 5:00 am for a 2 hour ride. I bought these ortlieb panniers and sent them back. Now I&#39;m getting Arkel&#39;s -a canadian brand, oh wait excusez moi -il sont quebecois. :blink:

Zoning Godess, Your ride must have been very nice. It&#39;s always fun to get back on the bike after a long time with no riding add rain sounds like your boy was having fun.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    What was wrong with the ortlieb&#39;s?
    I though they were the cadillac of panniers.

The Ortliebs are nice but I need breathable panniers. People pimp Ortlieb all of the time and I just got caught up in the hype. I did some serious thinking about the qualities most important to a pannier on tour and breathability is high up there for very important reasons. If I need something waterproff I&#39;ll put it in a ziploc bag like I always do. It&#39;s unfortunate that Ortlieb doesn&#39;t sell a breathable bag cause the sizes are perfect for long distance touring and commuting as well.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess@Sep 5 2003, 12:28 AM
    Whee&#33; We have a TROPICAL STORM moving in today
    Hey Goddess, mind if I come for a visit? With that storm coming through now would be the perfect time to be out on a board. Sometimes I really miss the beach...

Maybe I could try riding the wake behind a coal barge on the Ohio River.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    some have done that - not very smart.
    Oddball

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by JNA@Sep 5 2003, 04:20 PM
    some have done that - not very smart.
    I imagine not. But then again, anyone getting in the Ohio River at all probably isn&#39;t all that smart to begin with.
    Sadly, riding barge wake is the closest I could get to surfing around these parts.

In the surfing movie Step Into Liquid some guys in Texas ride waves generated by an oil liner in the Gulf. The waves ride for as long as 3 miles.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Can anybody recommend a good hybrid bike make? Just in case I decide not to fix the old beast. I like road bikes, but I think a hybrid is better suited to my needs (commuting, errands, shopping).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I would personally go for a mountain bike and switch the tires to slicks. You may want to even look at some of the newer 29 inch mountain bikes, best of both worlds, mtb on the weekend, switch the tires to slicks for commuting and away you go. The only problem is they are expensive.

If you want a good bike for the money consider GIANT. They are the primary manufacturer for just about everyone else so you tend to get more bang for the buck.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would personally go for a mountain bike and switch the tires to slicks.
    that is what I&#39;ve done.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by biscuit+Sep 5 2003, 04:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (biscuit @ Sep 5 2003, 04:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Zoning Goddess@Sep 5 2003, 12:28 AM
    Whee&#33; We have a TROPICAL STORM moving in today
    Hey Goddess, mind if I come for a visit? With that storm coming through now would be the perfect time to be out on a board. Sometimes I really miss the beach...

Maybe I could try riding the wake behind a coal barge on the Ohio River. [/b][/quote]
    Cyburbians are always welcome&#33; I see in the paper that a new surfing movie documentary is opening today (by the son of the guy who did "Endless Summer") with profiles of surfers in some odd places: the Great Lakes, Vietnam, etc.

I see in the paper that a new surfing movie documentary is opening today (by the son of the guy who did "Endless Summer") with profiles of surfers in some odd places: the Great Lakes, Vietnam, etc.
    That would be Step Into Liquid. It&#39;s a fun movie to watch. The Cortez Bank part of the movie is absolutely amazing -66 foot wave.

Giants are great bikes for commuting. Check out the OCR® 1 It&#39;s "Versatile enough for touring, charity rides, and serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing."

I&#39;d buy it if I can keep it under &#036;800

Registered
    Sep 2001
    To top off my rotten day yesterday, I went to pick up my bike to find that I need a new suspension fork, I&#39;ve blown the damping cartridge. There goes the income tax return.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just a reminder for all of you racing fans the "Vuelta a Espana" is on right now. Along with the Tour and the Giro, this is one of the most prestigious tours of the season

If you live in the US, it is supposed to be on OLN, if not www.eurosport.com for minute by minute updates.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The never-ending countdown thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 12:02 AM
  2. Bike/ped committee nominee [Temp 2]
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Jan 2005, 2:52 PM
  3. Replies: 5