Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: On-site worker housing [Temp 1]

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

On-site worker housing [Temp 1]

Has anyone had any dealings in high cost areas with on-site worker housing. I am reviewing a project that involves providing dormitory style housing for at a horse farm. This is in an area where a single family home is way over $500,000. It is an allowed acessory use... but not in dormitory-style housing. Any thoughts???
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our Code permits similar housing in 3-, 5-, and 10- acre AG districts, as a special exception:
    ) "Farmworker housing, either single family or multifamily dwellings, if the land use is a bona fide agriculture use; provided, however, that such structures may house only those persons and their immediate family employed in carrying out such bona fide agricultural use. Mobile homes may be permitted in lieu of tenant dwellings; provided, however, that such approvals shall be limited to a period of two (2) years. The Board of Adjustment may renew said approval for one (1) additional time period of two (2) years after review and finding that the land is used for bona fide agricultural purposes and that the use of the mobile home directly benefits said agricultural purposes."

However, I have been here 8 years and don't recall any applications for such a use.

Seems to me, though, that it would permit dormitory type uses.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Actually the County did have one application while I was working with the BOA and it was permitted. It was for a continuance of a mobile home on the property that was utilized for agricultural purposes.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Boy... I should have checked my spelling...
    My thoughts are... that such housing shouldn't be allowed... even though many employers house workers in very poor places (probably worse than the horse stalls)
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Nov 2007, 12:22 PM
  2. Affordable housing web site
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Jul 2005, 11:46 AM
  3. Local Housing Preservation Site