OK, we have had many discussions of the value (or lack of value) in APA. I just received a renewal notice for the International Economic Development Council. Here are a few of the things they offer:
* several professional development courses in different parts of the country, throughout the year.
* a certification program that requires renewal every few years, but no extra fees to remain certified
* a newsletter (usually 8-10 pages) sent out 22 time per year
* a quarterly professional journal at no extra charge
* a weekly electronic newsletter on current topics
* a technical information clearinghouse
* online forums
* weekly grant updates
* the usual discounts on books, conferences, etc.
Are there other organizations out there that provide as much service to their members as APA, but at less cost? Why is it that IEDC, for the same price of membership, can offer as much or more than APA? Why is it that they do not feel the need to charge extra for so many of these offerings, as APA does? Where are my APA dues going?