Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA versus. _____ [Temp 1]

Registered
    Aug 2001

APA versus. _____ [Temp 1]

OK, we have had many discussions of the value (or lack of value) in APA. I just received a renewal notice for the International Economic Development Council. Here are a few of the things they offer:

* several professional development courses in different parts of the country, throughout the year.
    * a certification program that requires renewal every few years, but no extra fees to remain certified
    * a newsletter (usually 8-10 pages) sent out 22 time per year
    * a quarterly professional journal at no extra charge
    * a weekly electronic newsletter on current topics
    * a technical information clearinghouse
    * online forums
    * weekly grant updates
    * the usual discounts on books, conferences, etc.

Are there other organizations out there that provide as much service to their members as APA, but at less cost? Why is it that IEDC, for the same price of membership, can offer as much or more than APA? Why is it that they do not feel the need to charge extra for so many of these offerings, as APA does? Where are my APA dues going?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Sounds like IEDC is a pretty good value compared to what you get with APA. Have you found all of the extra goodies usefull? I don't know the cost but I've heard that International City/County Managers Association (ICMA) offers a good bit of information to those on the administration side of government.

I've had discussions about the value of APA membership with various persons in my office and the only ones with a membership are those who do so to maintain AICP certification. Not because they feel like they're getting any real value out of the basic membership.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had ICMA and found it not to be valuable. IEDC is a direction we are moving in, although mostly just for the training and not the other benies. I was thinking of seceding and joining CIP...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Before you run to the north here is what you get:

6 issues of plan canada
    liability insurance
    1 conference per year
    the odd job mailout

They are supposed to be creating a scholarly edition of PC and a professional version as well as a student research journal.

Some chapters are more active and provide additonal items, but also charge more for dues.

I am fortunate, my employer pays my dues. If I had to pay, I would still belong now that I am a member, but would suggest to anyone coming out of school to not bother being a provisional member and wait until you've served your time then become a full member.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I've recently been appointed to the membership committee of APA and will say that changes are being discussed.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by The dork formerly known as Chet@Sep 8 2003, 07:08 PM
    I had ICMA and found it not to be valuable. IEDC is a direction we are moving in, although mostly just for the training and not the other benies. I was thinking of seceding and joining CIP...
    In previous managment positions, I was an ICMA member. I actually found their periodicals and services very helpful, especially during a job search.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella@Sep 8 2003, 03:04 PM
    I've recently been appointed to the membership committee of APA and will say that changes are being discussed.
    Does this mean we now have to watch what we say? At least with such esteemed members, we may see some good changes coming out of APA.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 38
    Last post: 10 Jul 2009, 12:06 PM
  2. A _____ of Planners
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 4:45 PM
  3. Accredited programs versus my MPA
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4