Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Commercial Square Footage - Population Rations [Temp 1]

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Commercial Square Footage - Population Rations [Temp 1]

Anyone have any links or resources on where to find a generalized ratio of how much commercial floor area is needed to serve a population? A member of my Planning Board asked me to see if I could find anything.

Thanks in advance!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There really is no good answer, because area demographics and shopping patterns are such wild cards. I had a figure of the current average square feet of commercial space per US resident, but can't seem to find it and think it is likely to be pretty irrelevant anyways. Some states have compiled population threshholds for retail store categories, and may have information on square footage in those categories, that could help you back into a number. Another source you might try is "Dollars and Sense of Shopping Centers" by ULI. You'll want to locate it in a library if possible, because it is an expensive publication and not available on-line.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Hope this is what you are looking for

From my usual source Land Use Planning Made Plain - Hok-lin Leung p 107

adapted from ULI- Shopping Centre Development Handbook (1982) and lynch and hack (1984)

neighbourhood scale has a service radius of about .5 miles and services 4-10k
    community scale has a service radius of 2 miles and serves 35-50k
    regional scale has a service radius 4 miles and serves 150k plus.

I am sure these numbers have changed over the past 20 years, but they are a start. i'd try ULI.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Oct 2009, 4:06 PM
  2. Remotely figuring square footage..
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jan 2007, 9:42 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 11:07 AM
  4. Estimating Market Retail Square Footage
    Economic and Community Development