Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: You're Gonna Die! [Temp 1]

Registered
    Nov 2002

You're Gonna Die! [Temp 1]

:unsure: According to an Irish study planning and other social science majors shouldn't count on having too long of a career. So what do y'all think?
    University major and life span

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Great

at least they did not say "killed on job"
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It would be interesting to see that broken down by degree. The Liberal Arts field is so broad, I think there would have to be differences between, say, accountants and planners and foresters. Since they don't offer that detail, though, I'll just interpret it as saying that Liberal Arts majors live short, happy lives.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Sep 8 2003, 03:49 PM
    Great

at least they did not say "killed on job"
    I was thinking about the same thing. It would be interesting to know which white collar type professionals are most likely to get killed on the job. Would it be planners or other civil servant types? My money is on Post Office managers.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Maybe it's from experiencing KILLER headaches due to dealing with politicians as obstacles to effective planning.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum... social sciences studients are prone to smoke? I hate smoking!

Though planners can have a high rate of death due to psychopaths that got their variance denied....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    That is just great. I wonder if we are dying young on our own or from the angry citizens. In my last job, the director was very good about stabbing you in the back if you wouldn't bend over for the developers. He also like to make life so miserable that you commit suicide or have to take heavy medication even though it is not your fault.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I recall seeing that farmers have the highest OTJ mortality. Very little safety oversight, no OSHA rules and regs...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In Australia it's the primary industries too - farm labourers, miners, forestry workers and fishers.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Trail Nazi@Sep 8 2003, 10:01 PM
    That is just great. I wonder if we are dying young on our own or from the angry citizens. In my last job, the director was very good about stabbing you in the back if you wouldn't bend over for the developers. He also like to make life so miserable that you commit suicide or have to take heavy medication even though it is not your fault.
    Trail Nazi, you're being so kind about our former boss. hehehehe...

OT: Planning is so stressful, in some areas. You are under incredible time pressures, with politicians, citizens, and developers all pressuring you. No wonder many of the planners I know are on anti-anxiety medication.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess@Sep 9 2003, 12:24 AM

Trail Nazi, you're being so kind about our former boss. hehehehe...

OT: Planning is so stressful, in some areas. You are under incredible time pressures, with politicians, citizens, and developers all pressuring you. No wonder many of the planners I know are on anti-anxiety medication.
    ZG, you are correct, I am being nice about that person. He is a developer's wet dream who slauders excellent planners in public.

How many planners do you know on anti-anxiety meds?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [QUOTE=Trail Nazi,Sep 8 2003, 07:57 PM]
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess,Sep 9 2003, 12:24 AM

How many planners do you know on anti-anxiety meds?
    No meds here. I do own several guns, though. The best part is, while I might help to shorten the life expectancy of other professions, Wisconsin does not have a death penalty. Yippie! Lock and load!

(Er, just for the record, I have never shot at anyone without Uncle Sam's permission and only plan to off a few cats that stray into the yard, but the thought of an insane killing spree sometimes helps to keep me sane.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You know back when i was an undergrad, actually that was only 8-10 yo, comtemplating the sorry ass planning degree at WMU in Kzoo(switched to geology kept the geog minor) I would flip through the APA journals and was always struck by the obits. yes obituaries, they must still post them, many men struck down early 30 40 & 50&#39;s. It steered me right off the career track, but I find myself still enthralled with this planning stuff&#33; <_<

Registered
    Sep 2001
    No blush emoticon.

last year I was put on anti anxiety medication, combined with some pretty heavy pain killers. I took this cocktail for 3 weeks, it drove me nuts that I was completely lethargic and had no energy. I have since found out that the "Dr" that I have been assigned is famous for over medicating instead of treating. No trips back to him since then, even though I should have.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Put-In-Bay, Gonna Have A Good Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 29 Aug 2011, 9:25 AM
  2. But I'm Gonna Miss Metrosexual...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jan 2004, 1:27 PM
  3. Gonna be a sloooow day...
    Friday Afternoon Club