+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Happened? The F.a.q. [Temp 2]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What Happened? The F.a.q. [Temp 2]

What happened to Cyburbia?

Cyburbia was hosted with 100 Megs Web Hosting, a Web host based in Edmonton, Alberta. They claimed that Cyburbia placed too heavy of a load on their server. On 15 January, they moved the site from to a different server to see if it would fix load issues. On Monday 24 January at about 9:30 PM EST, the hosting company shut down Cyburbia without warning. Visitors to the site received a message that read "YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED." All cyburbia.org/ca/us e-mail service was suspended.

At about 1:30 AM, Tuesday 25 January, cyburbia.org returned online, but only to display the redirection page to this forum. E-mail was restored. 100 Megs was responsive in allowing me to restore basic services, so users here aren't kept in the dark about what's going on.

Well, did Cyburbia overload their servers?

Maybe, but I think it's because the server was either woefully underpowered, or already overloaded with fairly lightweight sites; blogs, personal Web pages, gaming clan sites, and small business sites.

The Cyburbia Forums runs on vBulletin, a very popular PHP/MySQL message board software package. Other hosting companies I've contacted consider the potential load of Cyburbia (about 75 concurrent forum users and guests, 10 gallery users, and 10 resource directory users maximum) to be light; something they can easily handle. Cyburbia should not bring a server down; if it did, that server was probably overloaded to begin with.

Even though Cyburbia is essentially gone from the 100 Megs server, that server is still crawling; consider the long lag time when you load the 400 byte http://www.cyburbia.org index page that is still hosted there.

Was Cyburbia hacked?

No.

Was any content lost?

We'll find out when Cyburbia is restored. Cyburbia is backed up to my home PC ewvery Friday night, and I downloaded a backup of the site shortly after it went off-line. At the least, messages and images posted on Monday 24 January will be lost.

In the last Cyburbia meltdown (September 2003), the database somehow became corrupted, and about a month of posts was lost. That shouldn't be the case this time.

What now?

Cyburbia will be moving to a new hosting company. However, the hosting company that comes highly recommended -- they host many very busy vBulletin-based sites -- will not be accepting new users again until Thursday 27 January.

Here's what's involved in relocating a Web site:

1) Reupload content
    2) Reconfigure all software packages; new IPs, new program directory locations, and so on. This is the most difficult and fristrating part.
    3) Reconfigure nameservers so cyburbia.org points to the new IP, and thus the new site.

When the site is placed back online, the Forums will be restored first; then the Resource Directory, and finally the Gallery. The Gallery is last because it will take about 18 hours to upload a gigabyte of images from a home DSL connection.

The original Cyburbia Forums should be back online on Sunday 30 January.

Will posts here be transferred back to the Cyburbia Forums when it returns online?

No. This board will continue to be maintained for emergencies, though.

This board is not maintained on 100 Megs or the new hosting copany; it's a free service from http://www.freeibforums.com . Thus. the ads.

Will my post count here be transferred back to the Cyburbia Forums when it returns online?

It depends.

Will my Cyburbia Forums/Gallery login information be the same wern the site is restored?

Yes.

On a personal note, I'm running on about three hours of sleep right now; I'm physically and mentally exhausted.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Get some rest Dan, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do for the next couple of days until the new host is able to take Cyburbia on.

We'll cover for you...bwahahahahahaha

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Thank you so much Dan we all appreciate your hard work.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dan, I'm quite impressed that you have made temporary accomodations as quickly as you have. You realize by doing this, though, you're enabling us Cyburbian junkies, don't you? Instead of needles we'll be sharing avatars....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Don't kill yourself trying to rush the site back. This isn't internet banking or anything . . . everybody will survive. Thanks for running this site which benefits a whole PROFESSION which is a pretty impressive feat.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    yeah...don't kill yourself...and the local Cleveland area cyburbians need to take you out to dinner this weekend. (Are there even any active Cleveland cyburbians?)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan
    I have to congradulate you on an impressive recovery from a bad situation.
    Thanks for the fine work.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hey Guap go register!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Damn crappy hosting.... oh sure.. Cyburbia will be ok if we put it in a 486 <_<

Well, did Cyburbia overload their servers?

Maybe, but I think it&#39;s because the server was either woefully underpowered, or already overloaded with fairly lightweight sites; blogs, personal Web pages, gaming clan sites, and small business sites.
    So.... it&#39;s the emo chicks fault The server overloaded due to an excessive amount of teenage angst and they blame Cyburbia&#33;

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Well at least we have this for now&#33;&#33; Dan thanks for all your hard work&#33;

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well...good looking out&#33;

On an aside...I have a web hosting account running phpBB that is siting idle. You are more than welcome to use that space if you ever need a temporary shelter for cases like this...although I hope for your sake this is the last time you should have to go through this.

From a finance point...are the costs going up? If so, it is probably time to contribute once again for all of your work.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The current plan is 2 gigs of storage and 40 GB of traffic for &#036;20 a month.

On the new host, I&#39;m looking at a plan with 2.5 GB storage/60 GB traffic account for &#036;20 a month, or 4.5 gigs of storage aand 100 GB of traffic for &#036;30 a month.

I&#39;m on a tight budget -- my property taxes shot up, and my mortgage payments are much higher than anticipated -- but I&#39;ll be fine.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Kick-ass job getting this up-and-running Dan&#33; Now, don&#39;t go sacrificing your health for all of us Cyburbia junkies--GET SOME SLEEP&#33;

If it&#39;s time for us to write checks, just say the word&#33; I&#39;m collecting a real salary now, so I can actually contribute something worthwhile.

If you ever come down here to central Texas, let me know and I&#39;ll feed you&#33;

Although it sounds like what you are doing is well-beyond my web skills (I&#39;m a webmaster for our city), if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If we wanted to help defray the costs...where can we send the unmarked, non-sequential bills?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by GeogPlanner@Jan 25 2005, 04:44 PM
    If we wanted to help defray the costs...where can we send the unmarked, non-sequential bills?
    I asked on another thread "The Saddest Day" about this very question.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You have "unmarked, non-sequential bills" to dispose of too? :P

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Great job Dan with setting up the Temporary site this fast&#33; Take a break and have a couple brews.... <Insert Beer Icon Here>
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Too tired for beer. Just completed another element of a township comp plan I&#39;m working on, and my eyes are shot; I can&#39;t focus properly.

4:30 ... plaase come soon&#33;

Registered
    May 2003
    Thanks, Dan.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    You rock Dan&#33;

I am sure that will all be ok here for a while, so if you don?t get it online right away, don?t worry about. (maybe we can overload this one too)

Off-topic:
    Maister and I have come up with an idea once the regular one comes on line. We think it will be a funny tribute to a over regulated CDBG funding requirement code enforcement job.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Terrific job, Dan. Thanks. :beer:

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If I recall correctly, there was only about a week&#39;s worth of stuff lost the last time Cyburbia went down. I don&#39;t think it was a month&#39;s worth.

Really, Dan, you need to have a donate button and anyone who feels wealthy enough to give you &#036;5 can. That should be a permanent feature of Cyburbia. And, speaking of "not killing yourself", do you have provisions in your will for how Cyburbia will be continued after your demise? (in 60 years, no doubt, but I think you have an obligation to not take this with you when you go ) Cyburbia is not just one man&#39;s website. It is a community and is rapidly becoming "an institution".

Oh, and let me add my warm-fuzzies: Thanks&#33; I am impressed, and all that. I had an eventful day yesterday too and folks are taking some of my comments wrong, sigh. I don&#39;t mean to sound critical, I just seem to be good at it when I am exhausted and overwhelmed. I think my mother is showing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great comic irony - what if we ewre hosted on the same server as MarryTheresa, and it was HER activity that shut us down&#33;

Thanks for all the hard work Dan&#33;

Registered
    Jun 2003
    If has this has not been said enough,

Thank-you Dan

and take care of yourself.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Good job on the Cyburbian Lifeboat.

If you are thinking about putting an ad on Cyburbia to pay the hosting bills, Google Adsense works great. Maybe we can talk about some forum topic changes as well on the new site.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 9/11: What Really Happened?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 04 Sep 2011, 5:29 PM
  2. Whatever Happened to......
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Jun 2006, 10:26 PM
  3. Replies: 43