Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Taj Mahal overpasses

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Taj Mahal overpasses

I'm wondering where I can find photographs and/or drawings showing expressway overpasses with a level of design that goes far beyond the standard state DOT green-painted i-beam. I know "signature overpasses" are quite common in Colorado, but during my years there I never bothered to take any photographs.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Maybe the Lin Cove Viaduct in the NC mountains? Its not an overpass per se but a bridge over and around Grandfather Mt.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/linncove.htm
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Albany took an overpass in downtown and using some local art students and the tromp l'oeil (sp?) technique transformed the overpass into a nice landmark piece. I'll see if I can snap a pic and post it in the restored galleries.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We've got a couple (one built that's won some awards, one under construction) that I can post when galleries are up.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    OT = We just got a new overpass here that just opened. It makes rush-hour more fun since everyone is now being taught a new route to get onto I-95N. Beware if you come for Super Bowl.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The interstate overpasses in New Braunfels, TX have some custom features to make them look less ugly. They have a fat little German guy in liederhosen on the bridge supports and have textured guard rails. I'll take a few pics when I get a chance.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Pole Line Road overcrossing in Davis is pretty nice, even has little trees along the sides of the overpass in planters.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Dan,

Try the new Grant St. Overpass over the Scajaquada Expressway in Buffalo that NYSDOT built:

http://www.dot.state.ny.us/reg/r5/grant_fi...iles/grant.html

Or, try the new overpasses included in the I-490 Gateway Project that NYSDOT is building in Rochester:

http://www.dot.state.ny.us/reg/r4/490gateway/490.html

And, I don't have a link or pic, but I remember that the Emeral Pkwy. overpass over US33 in Dublin, Ohio, outside Columbus, was rather nice.
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The overpass for the 400 (or was it the 190) outside Buffalo has some 'stone' and some trees there is also some statues of buffalo grazing there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Plans of the Taj Mahal
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Dec 2010, 6:06 AM
  2. Use of pedestrian overpasses
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Aug 2006, 5:51 PM