Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Termporary Beer Thread [Temp 2]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The Termporary Beer Thread [Temp 2]

Might as well be one, shouldn't there?

:beer:
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I could sure go for a beer right about now :elguapo:
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hey what about us that drink wine? I say its discrimination!

:beer: but this sorta looks like a wine bottle so I will just go have a drink and forget it

hehe
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last night I enjoyed two nice cold Blue Moon Belgian White wheat beers. Yumm! :beer:
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Last night I enjoyed two cold, frosty, refreshing.... (You beer snobs will rag on me now&#33... Coors Lights! :P

But seriously, they were good to wash down some of the super spicy Mexcian food I cooked while reading some new books.

It was a good night. I think some Heinekens are on order for this evening...
    ...jeez only been at work for 36 minutes and I am already thinking about beer.

:beer:
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Last night I enjoyed a 40 oz of Labatt Blue, 3 shots of vodka and 5 PBR's. Don't get mad at me either beer snobs :wristfight:
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator@Jan 26 2005, 10:14 AM
    Last night I enjoyed a 40 oz of Labatt Blue, 3 shots of vodka and 5 PBR's. Don't get mad at me either beer snobs :wristfight:
    How ya feeling today???
    3 shots of vodka?? ughuhg my FAVORITE but I have come to realize it is not my favorite the next day...i think it is the only things that gives me the most HORRIBLE hang over...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by jaxspra@Jan 26 2005, 11:26 AM
    How ya feeling today???
    3 shots of vodka?? ughuhg my FAVORITE but I have come to realize it is not my favorite the next day...i think it is the only things that gives me the most HORRIBLE hang over...
    I'm feeling fine. I'm what "AA" refers to as a "functioning alcoholic"

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- I really don't like that concept. How can one have a disease if it's not negatively affecting their life? Alcoholism is when one becomes violent or unable to meet their obligations because of alcohol. Before that, it's just drinking.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator+Jan 26 2005, 10:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rumpy Tunanator @ Jan 26 2005, 10:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaxspra@Jan 26 2005, 11:26 AM
    How ya feeling today???
    I&#39;m feeling fine. I&#39;m what "AA" refers to as a "functioning alcoholic" [/b][/quote]
    So there is name for it&#33;&#33;&#33; Thanks for the enlightment...I just knew it was somethin&#33;&#33;

Funtioning alcoholic...hmmmm welp just keep up the functioning

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Jordan The Great@Jan 26 2005, 11:45 AM
    ^-- I really don&#39;t like that concept. How can one have a disease if it&#39;s not negatively affecting their life? Alcoholism is when one becomes violent or unable to meet their obligations because of alcohol. Before that, it&#39;s just drinking.
    Hey, I tried to tell them that I didn&#39;t have a disease or a problem, but they said that denial was the first step in admitting I had a problem. :P :wristfight:

I like Sam Adams and when I&#39;m in the mood for something different I will have a Blacken Voodoo, a New Orleans beer. For wines I have been drinking two buck chuck lately I can get it at the Trader Joe&#39;s in Virginia. I like the two buck whites a lot.

My stock club is looking into investing in beer companies. I am leading the research effort for beer stocks. The company that ownes guniess looks good and I found a french compnay that I am investigating now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have a beer related photo... how do I post it in here? It is in my computer and not on line...
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Ok, so to celebrate hump-day I&#39;m partaking in a nice tall frothy pint of Guiness proudly poured from the can, not the bottle, because the bottle doesn&#39;t pour as well. Cheers&#33;&#33; :beer:
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    On today&#39;s trip my parents only packed light beer.... YUCK&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Moosehead light... How can Canadians even have the guts to: a) Kill a decent beer like Moosehead and b ) Export that crap&#33;

I only thought US beers were f*ing close to water.... I was wrong (ok actually we do have here some Bud style beers... but that&#39;s just like mineral water with beer taste)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Originally posted by skeleton@Jan 27 2005, 02:05 AM
    On today&#39;s trip my parents only packed light beer.... YUCK&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Moosehead light... How can Canadians even have the guts to: a) Kill a decent beer like Moosehead and b ) Export that crap&#33;

I only thought US beers were f*ing close to water.... I was wrong (ok actually we do have here some Bud style beers... but that&#39;s just like mineral water with beer taste)
    I&#39;m afraid crap beer is everywhere....the most popular British lager is one called Carling, which is essentially p**s water.

Although thankfully &#39;light&#39; beers haven&#39;t taken off here.

Toasted Man U&#39;s defeat last night with a nice Kronenberg 1664.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by noj@Jan 27 2005, 06:33 AM

Toasted Man U&#39;s defeat last night with a nice Kronenberg 1664.
    So did I read the paper right this morning? Is it Chelsea and Liverpool for the Premier League championship??

Yes, it was actually in the American sports pages, tucked neatly in the back with cycling and tennis, one paragraph dedicated to each....

Hopefully it will be carried by Fox Sports World... so we can watch here in the states...

...would you recommend a good English beer that might be found in the states for the game?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by zmanPLAN@Jan 27 2005, 11:26 AM
    So did I read the paper right this morning? Is it Chelsea and Liverpool for the Premier League championship??
    It&#39;s the Carling Cup Final...the Premiership doesn&#39;t wrap up until May, and it&#39;s just based on points accumulation (like the old baseball pennant races). I&#39;ve never really understood why the Carling (formerly Coca-cola, formerly..?? Cup) was instituted. Takes away from the FA cup IMHO. Between that and the Euro-stuff there&#39;s almost too much to keep track of.

Oh, a good brit beer for the final? Guess it depends where your tastes are - Newcastle or Bass are probably the easiest to find in your neck of the woods.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by tranplanner+Jan 27 2005, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tranplanner @ Jan 27 2005, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zmanPLAN@Jan 27 2005, 11:26 AM
    It&#39;s the Carling Cup Final...the Premiership doesn&#39;t wrap up until May, and it&#39;s just based on points accumulation (like the old baseball pennant races). I&#39;ve never really understood why the Carling (formerly Coca-cola, formerly..?? Cup) was instituted. Takes away from the FA cup IMHO. Between that and the Euro-stuff there&#39;s almost too much to keep track of.

Oh, a good brit beer for the final? Guess it depends where your tastes are - Newcastle or Bass are probably the easiest to find in your neck of the woods. [/b][/quote]
    New Castle would be great. I may have to purchase some and get Fox Sports World on my dish. (They have games all weekend, from the Premier League to the German Leagues)

Yeah I just started watching the repeats of the Premier League games at home while on my lunch hour. It is confusing about the different "cups" and whatnot. I went to the league&#39;s site, but they need a translation button to change the language from English to American (or even Canadian)... just kidding.

Tranplanner and Noj... lets meet in , watch some soccer (football) :jordanb: and drink some Boddington&#39;s, New Castles, and Bass :cheers:

...sorry, wanted to have fun with emos.

Noj, out of curiosity, what sorts of American beer do they sell in the UK?
    Same question to you, Skel

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Anyone good anything wonderful they cook with beer in it?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by maister@Jan 26 2005, 02:03 PM
    Last night I enjoyed two nice cold Blue Moon Belgian White wheat beers. Yumm&#33; :beer:
    That&#39;s quite a coincidence, so did I the other day. Don&#39;t you think Blue Moon puts out some uniquely flavored brews?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by zmanPLAN@Jan 27 2005, 01:44 PM
    What sorts of American beer do they sell in Chile?
    Ok... what you can frequently see here in any chain supermarket that&#39;s "from the US" is Budweiser... it&#39;s actually made under license in Argentina, but it&#39;s the same piss water. Maybe in some specialty stores in Santiago you can get decent American and International beer.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Originally posted by zmanPLAN@Jan 27 2005, 04:26 PM
    zman Plan - So did I read the paper right this morning? Is it Chelsea and Liverpool for the Premier League championship??..would you recommend a good English beer that might be found in the states for the game?

Tranplanner - It&#39;s the Carling Cup Final...the Premiership doesn&#39;t wrap up until May, and it&#39;s just based on points accumulation (like the old baseball pennant races). I&#39;ve never really understood why the Carling (formerly Coca-cola, formerly..?? Cup) was instituted. Takes away from the FA cup IMHO. Between that and the Euro-stuff there&#39;s almost too much to keep track of.
    As TP said, it was the Carling Cup semi-final last night, so Chelsea will play Liverpool in the final. The Carling Cup has had some classic sponsors, including as you say the Coca-Cola Cup, and also the Rumbelows (now defunct crap British home electronics shop) and my favourite, the &#39;Milk Cup&#39;. I actually quite like the CCup as most of the big teams only put out their second/youth teams so it gives the lesser teams more of a chance.

Didn&#39;t happen last night, mind, as both teams had pretty much their best team out. I&#39;m not a particular fan of Chelsea, just can&#39;t stand Man U . It also leaves Chelsea with a possibility of the "quadruple" (Championship, CCup, FA Cup, Euro Champions League). I don&#39;t think they&#39;ll do it but they should win the championship, as 10 points clear.

Bass is quite a nice beer (owned by Coors), not a massive fan of Newcastle Brown myself, but its very popular. Some favourites of mine here are Black Sheep Ale, Greene King IPA & Abbot and Theakstons and Theakstons XP - but not sure if they are available at all over there. US beers here are I&#39;m afraid the ubiquitous &#39;Budweiser&#39; (in apostrophes since they stole the name&#33, Miller, Coors and Michelob (is that Canadian?). Last time I was in the States had some nice beer - Otter Creek and a Nevada beer (?) (can&#39;t remember the name) but your good brews don&#39;t seem to be available over here, although I did see some Sam Adams the other week in the supermarket

Liked the use of smilies&#33;

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by noj@Jan 27 2005, 12:36 PM
    I&#39;m not a particular fan of Chelsea, just can&#39;t stand Man U .

Sounds like you and I have something in common. I&#39;m not rooting for Chelsea to pull off the quadruple though.

I only tossed out a couple of UK beers that I figured you&#39;d be able to get in Colorado. The ones Noj mentioned are all fine ales. I&#39;ll put in my vote for Fuller&#39;s "London Pride"...I love that stuff. Not sure what would be available in your neck of the woods. I actually enjoy a good cider when I&#39;m watching footie.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My friend works in a GIANT liquor Supermarket in Denver. This place is huge, and he has access in getting a vast variety of beer. Next time I drive down, I may have to look into the British beers they carry, or would be willing to get.

Noj, Michelob is American, and made by our "friends" at Budwieser.

For the so called American "pi&#036;&#036;" beers, I hate Budweiser and Bud Light. If I am drinking something light, I like Coors. Plus I am from Colorado, so there is some allegiance there too. Lately I have not been buying light beer and my waistline is showing it. But I think light beers have a place in this world too.

We have some great micro brews near my town, I wonder if they would take off with the discriminating beer drinkers across the pond.... :unsure:

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1714
    Last post: 17 Dec 2014, 3:39 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM