Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Termporary Beer Thread [Temp 2]

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 27 2005, 04:47 PM
    Anyone good anything wonderful they cook with beer in it?
    Sure, the obvious one is chili. I don't use water, only beer as liquid. It has a marked effect on the flavor (and for the record it does not result in a 'beery' flavor). I have also made a yummy beer soup (I know it doesnt sound yummy but trust me it is). Beer also makes an excellent base to boil any kind of sausage you can think of.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 27 2005, 11:47 AM
    Anyone good anything wonderful they cook with beer in it?
    I've got a few recipes at home I could dig out...is there a particular type of dish you're looking for? Are you just trying to get rid of some unwanted beer or are you looking at "themed" dinner?

There is always the infamous beer-butt chicken...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by maister@Jan 27 2005, 12:11 PM
    [snip]......Beer also makes an excellent base to boil any kind of sausage you can think of.
    Thanks. That gives me a great idea for dinner tonight. :rugged:

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by skeleton@Jan 26 2005, 08:05 PM
    On today's trip my parents only packed light beer.... YUCK!!!! Moosehead light... How can Canadians even have the guts to: a) Kill a decent beer like Moosehead and b ) Export that crap!

I only thought US beers were f*ing close to water.... I was wrong (ok actually we do have here some Bud style beers... but that's just like mineral water with beer taste)
    Moosehead??? Wow I used to drink that in college, I remember that being a very "skunky" beer...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im just always looking for new fun things to put in my cookbook
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    2 Heinekens for me last night, and one Mac's Copperhop (http://www.macs.co.nz/beers.asp)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator@Jan 26 2005, 04:14 PM
    Last night I enjoyed a 40 oz of Labatt Blue, 3 shots of vodka and 5 PBR's. Don't get mad at me either beer snobs
    No way, both excellent brews in my book. :drunk:
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 27 2005, 08:55 PM
    Im just always looking for new fun things to put in my cookbook
    How about the easiest thing possible to cook with beer? A Lowcountry shrimp boil. Fresh shrimp, corn on the cob, sausage, red potatos, water and beer. Just boil, serve and wash it down with more beer. Mmmmmm.......

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Ok. BEER QUOTES:

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel
    ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers
    in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't
    drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams
    would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that
    I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish
    and worry about my liver." --by Jack Handy
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2003
    The purpose of the factory beers (Bud, Miller etc) is to convince the world that American beer sucks, so that we can keep the good stuff to ourselves. :nana:

By the way, these emicons keep getting funner. I love the dead horse.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Originally posted by tranplanner+Jan 27 2005, 05:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tranplanner &#064; Jan 27 2005, 05:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-noj@Jan 27 2005, 12:36 PM
    I&#39;m not a particular fan of Chelsea, just can&#39;t stand Man U .

Sounds like you and I have something in common. I&#39;m not rooting for Chelsea to pull off the quadruple though.

I only tossed out a couple of UK beers that I figured you&#39;d be able to get in Colorado. The ones Noj mentioned are all fine ales. I&#39;ll put in my vote for Fuller&#39;s "London Pride"...I love that stuff. Not sure what would be available in your neck of the woods. I actually enjoy a good cider when I&#39;m watching footie.[/b][/quote]
    Good to find more lovers of the beautiful game....I&#39;m not rooting for Chelsea either, but it is refreshing to find a top manager who is fairly honest about his team and doesn&#39;t believe the whole world and their dog is against them&#33;

London Pride - very nice, but unfortunately not that available in the part of England where I am now. Drove past a billboard for Marstons Pedigree this morning, which reminded me how much I like that beer too ( the power of advertising&#33.

Like the new french smilie.... :surrender: , and especially its name&#33;

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Thanks Biscuit but I can have any seafood :puke:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 28 2005, 11:29 AM
    Thanks Biscuit but I can have any seafood :puke:
    Sorry about that. Allergic or Jewish? Not that it matters because, either way, you can still enjoy the beer portion of the recipe. :cheers:

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Both

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    :unsure: Leave it to me to learn something on a beer thread. I am jewish as well and my family eats the hell out of shrimp and lobster???? I knew we didnt stick to the traditions very well but I didnt knwo we werent supposed to eat seafood...I am assuming it is "shellfish"? Please enlighten me.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    its shellfish, shrimp, lobbies etc. I think the basic rule is anything that eats crap

fish with skin can be eaten.

I don&#39;t keep Kosher for the most part, its the allergy apparently to ALL things from the water so I avoid it all.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 28 2005, 08:47 AM
    its shellfish, shrimp, lobbies etc. I think the basic rule is anything that eats crap

fish with skin can be eaten.

I don&#39;t keep Kosher for the most part, its the allergy apparently to ALL things from the water so I avoid it all.
    Thanks, I think it is all coming back to me now...fish with skin...hmmm I would think sushi would be alright then...I guess thats probably making you green considering the allergy...I could not keep kosher, there is no way, I like bacon bits on my salad
    When I was younger and went to summer camp (Jewish camp) it was a kosher camp and it was strange for me to adjust...had little choice so I did just fine but different nonetheless.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Kosher fish must have both scales and fins. Shellfish such as shrimp and lobster are prohibited, as well as some fresh fish such as swordfish, sturgeon, catfish and eel

Looked it up

I dont keep Kosher as much as Id like, Im not giving up my Bacon cheese burger&#33;

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by Plannergirl@Jan 28 2005, 08:58 AM
    Kosher fish must have both scales and fins. Shellfish such as shrimp and lobster are prohibited, as well as some fresh fish such as swordfish, sturgeon, catfish and eel

Looked it up

I dont keep Kosher as much as Id like, Im not giving up my Bacon cheese burger&#33;
    Bacon cheeseburger...hhhmmmm its only 9:00 and I am starving again&#33;&#33;
    Why is it we can eat things like gafilta (sp??) fish but not shrimp...carp eat crap too I think??? I dont know but I will tell ya shrimp and lobster taste a lot better than g-fish or the hearing in creamy white sauce...eeeewwwww all the stuff all my aunts eats does not sit well in my belly&#33;&#33;&#33;

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I had a good red lager last night at Bilbo?s Pizza. I am not sure it is a local chain or regional.

It was not too thin, smooth, and great flavor.

Anyone try anything from New Holland Brewery? :cheers:

This year I am going to make it a point to visit all of the micro-breweries in Michigan&#33;

I will keep a log and pictures on the regular never ending beer thread&#33;
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

I love all beer, but I have to say that there is nothing like a good homebrew. Mmm...frothy.... :cheers:

I bought a 6 pack of Dogfish Head Raison D&#39;Etre and a 4-pack of 90 Minute IPA last week.

I would have to say that that 90 min is one of the best beers I have ever had. Dogfish Head is slowly becoming my favorite microbrewery.

As for cooking with beer, the best recipe by far is "Beer Can Chicken"
    The recipe below yields excellent results:
    http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/reci...c_beercan_c.php

:drunk:
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2004
    There&#39;s nothing quite like having 20 gallons of homebrew on tap in the basement. cept maybee having 40 gallons of homebrew on tap in the basement. :beer: :rawk: :banana:

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Originally posted by michaelskis@Jan 28 2005, 04:27 PM

This year I am going to make it a point to visit all of the micro-breweries in Michigan&#33;

I will keep a log and pictures on the regular never ending beer thread&#33;
    Don&#39;t forget to stop at muni&#39;s beerdungeon&#33;

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1714
    Last post: 17 Dec 2014, 3:39 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11