Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Performance-based land use plans

Performance-based land use plans

Has any community adopted a Community Plan that has de-emphasised traditional land use designation maps in favour of policies and performance measures in determining sites for commerial and industrial workplaces outside of established commercial and industrial area (e.g in residential areas)? Our community is the City of Surrey (pop of 335,000), a suburb of Vancouver, Canada.

Registered
    May 1997
    A lot of places have experimented with performance based planning, with varying results. I have done a lot of work with rural counties and small towns, but I can't cite examples from places as large as yours. I helped the City of Idaho Falls, which has a population of about 50,000, write a performance based chapter regulating land use along arterial streets (where there was lots of controversy about conversions from residential to commercial) in an otherwise conventional zoning ordinance. It has been fairly successful. And while it is nowhere as large as your city, Breckenridge, CO has regulated hundreds of millions of dollars of development w/ its totally performance based system.

I do a hands-on training workshop on performance approaches to land use regulation. You would have to tailor it to BC, of course, but the training can easily be tailored to your issues. Email me if you are interested.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 1:13 PM
  2. Performance based zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 5:14 PM
  3. Performance based zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Apr 2002, 1:05 PM