Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Do You Drink Coffee? [Temp 2]

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

When Do You Drink Coffee? [Temp 2]

I always see people in my office drinking coffee all the time. Even now, at 4 pm, there is a fresh pot brewing and an old pot burning. I will occasionally have one cup here in the morning, but it is usually bad coffee and made too weak.
    I will only drink coffee in the afternoon when I need to stay awake, or I am flying somewhere.
    What are the habits of the other Cyburbians?
    Are you a javahead? or have you sworn off the stuff forever.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I usually have to have my "morning milkshake" of coffee and/or expresso with lots of additives to it (I can't drink it black). I usually need another shot before an evening meeting to keep me going, and that one always has to be expresso-based to keep me moving through the meeting.

I also substitute fruit smoothies, etc on occasion for a little pick-me-up.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am such an addict that I buy the coffee, filters, sweetener (Splenda), for myself - nondairy cream (sorry cows) and even make it at work.

I am good for 3 mugs worth at work: first thing while I check Cyburbia, mid/late morning and after lunch.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Suburb Repairman@Jan 26 2005, 11:34 PM
    I also substitute fruit smoothies, etc on occasion for a little pick-me-up.
    Me too.

Much as I love the stuff, just the one in the morning is all I can handle. Or I get the shakes and become hyperactive! :eyepop:

I think I've had around 13 cups today. Cups=grande' size @ starbucks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Only in the morning. Brew a half pot when I wake up, jump in the shower, and then suck it down (oh, I dry off and get dressed first).
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I generally don't drink much coffee, and when I do it's not as a stimulant, but more like something to eat a piece of cake with friends or something.

I like it, but I'm no addict.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am most likely to have an espresso drink in the morning, but that does not mean that an afternoon fix is out of the question.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    One coffee in the morning with a packet of fat free sugar free cocoa mix stired in.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I never drink coffee. It makes me ill: shaking, nausea, etc.

On the other hand, I can drink Diet Dew all day with no effects. I always heard it had a lot of caffiene, but it must not be much compared to coffee.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll either drink none or I'll drink like 12-14 cups while at work (and you thought I did all my slacking here, HAH! Bathroom breaks account for the remaining 25% of my workday).

As an interesting side note, Cyburbians can actually gauge which type of day it is for Maister by countimg the number of commas, colons, and semicolons found in his posts for that day. To determine the number of cups consumed count the total number of semicolons and multiply by 3.62, or you can count the number of commas used and divide by .681.

It's easy, educational, and fun for the whole family. Try it sometime.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by maister@Jan 26 2005, 09:50 PM
    I'll either drink none or I'll drink like 12-14 cups while at work (and you thought I did all my slacking here, HAH! Bathroom breaks account for the remaining 25% of my workday).

As an interesting side note, Cyburbians can actually gauge which type of day it is for Maister by countimg the number of commas, colons, and semicolons found in his posts for that day. To determine the number of cups consumed count the total number of semicolons and multiply by 3.62, or you can count the number of commas used and divide by .681.

It's easy, educational, and fun for the whole family. Try it sometime.
    Huh? Planners don&#39;t do the math thing. That&#39;s why we&#39;re "planners." Get it? But then again, sometimes I don&#39;t. <just because
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by giff57@Jan 27 2005, 03:11 AM
    One coffee in the morning with a packet of fat free sugar free cocoa mix stired in.
    That&#39;s a lot like my technique for mochas when backpacking. I use my backpacking espresso maker to brew a shot, then dump it into a cup of hot chocolate.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by RichmondJake@Jan 27 2005, 04:03 AM
    Huh? Planners don&#39;t do the math thing. That&#39;s why we&#39;re "planners." Get it? But then again, sometimes I don&#39;t. <just because
    Yeah... maybe that is why I just had to remove myself from the Econometric class I had foolishly enrolled in :unsure:
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have no set coffee routine. Some days its one cup...sometimes it is all day long. I never really know. I usually put in cream and sugar in the morning but then by the end of the day...just black...because I am just lazy I think.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by cardinal+Jan 26 2005, 10:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cardinal @ Jan 26 2005, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-giff57@Jan 27 2005, 03:11 AM
    That&#39;s a lot like my technique for mochas when backpacking. I use my backpacking espresso maker to brew a shot, then dump it into a cup of hot chocolate. [/b][/quote]
    I have discovered that it tastes about half as good as a real mocha, but costs about 1/10.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I won&#39;t touch the stuff but I do like jamocha shakes. Can&#39;t stand the coffee breath but surely do love the smell of it.

Strong, hot, black and fresh. But only in the morning and I&#39;ve seemed to learn my limit, otherwise I become uncomfortably "wound up". :o
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I never make coffee at home in the morning, but instead bring a travel mug to work with creamer in it. Once at work, I add one packet of sweet and low and fill with coffee.

We only really make coffee at home on the weekends. During the week I don&#39;t have enough time. But, I like my flavored creamer and my travel mug so I just haul it to work everyday. You know, I should just leave it here huh?

Other than that, I might have a cup throughout the day here and there.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I will average about a pot a day... I got use to it when I was in college while working at the ski hill considering we were going out drinking almost every night, then back up at 6 to open the hill.

Now, it is an addiction... some people are addicted to cigs, some to booze, I need a java fix.

As for the coffee breath, I have tooth paste and tooth brush in my desk, and I use it at least once a day.

:hooptie:
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Cant stand coffee, never ever tastes as good as it smells. I dont get it i LOVE the smell of coffee brewing and have coffee candles in my home but the taste no matter what I try to put in it never ever as good as it smells.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I&#39;m a tea man myself, coffee only when very tired.

During my visit to the States last year was amused to see the Dunkin&#39; Donuts chain selling the &#39;Box O Joe&#39; - Genius. Saw lots of big blokes in check shirts buy them along with their 10 donuts in the drive thru queue for breakfast. <_<

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I love coffee, but unfortunately coffee doesn&#39;t reciprocate at all. So, from an average of two-three cups a day, more on weekends, I&#39;m down to about 2-3 cups a week, usually if I&#39;m tired or just hanging out. Used to have a big travel mug&#39;s worth every morning--fresh ground beans put in the coffee pot at night, set the timer, lovely hot coffee 1st thing. Some of the other people in the office brew little pots of coffee at their desks, and when I walk by it smells wonderful, but usually I can resist. Took two weeks of headaches and crankiness :furious: to cut back. The improved sleep and clarity is worth it, though.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im with you noj I drink lots of hot tea, i have all these pots and funky teas-all time fav Jasmine pearl from Teavana

YUM :clap:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I usually have 1-3 cups first thing in the morning when I get to work.somedays I dotn ahve any, just depeds on how tired I am. Sometimes it jacks me up so much I cant get anything done at work, other times I dont even notice I drank it. I rarely drink it on the weekends.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. you are what you drink?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 24 Oct 2005, 7:47 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 12:56 PM
  3. Soft drink poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59