Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I Heart Huckabees [Temp 2]

Registered
    Oct 2001

I Heart Huckabees [Temp 2]

Have we discussed this movie on Cyburbia yet? If so, I appologize in advance. I saw it on an airplane flight last week.

Reader's Digest Plot Summary: The story of an idealistic sprawl fighting, bike riding young adult who embarks on a metaphysical journey/quest aided by Jude Law as every guy you ever met that you hated on sight and Mark Wahlburg as the blue collar firefighter who is tangled up in his own search for the meaning of life. Two opposing theories of existence seemingly clash, yet are obviously the ying and yang of deconstructionist theory.

Who has seen it and what did you think?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that I missed that one

:buffalo:
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Haven't heard of it.... but since all the movie titles get translated... it could have past by and I didn't notice....go figure. I'll see if I can get it, sounds interesting.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I really want to see that movie. I am surprised that it is already on the plane movie list. I must now take a trip somewhere that offers movies on the planes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I heard a review of it on NPR back in October. Mostly positive stuff. I do want to see it, but need to find the time.

Is "Huckabees" a stand-in for Walmart?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Wanigas?@Jan 28 2005, 01:32 PM
    Is "Huckabees" a stand-in for Walmart?
    Kind of a parallel universe Wal-Mart. I thought Huckabees was really more of a Target like chain based upon the advertising you see in the movie. Huckabees was way more upscale than Wally World. And they used Shania Twain in the movie. I believe the Huckabees store as it appeared in the movie was just different enough to avoid a law suit.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I had initially wanted to see it, but keep hearing mixed reviews.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Whose Yer Planner@Jan 28 2005, 05:54 PM
    I had initially wanted to see it, but keep hearing mixed reviews.
    Yep, its one of those movies you'll either love or hate. You'll never know until you watch it for yourself.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Cute.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I heard it was resoundingly pretentious, but I'm more intrigued now b/c of this thread. The actors are all generally very good, too.
    I don't dream. I plan.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by plannerbabs@Jan 28 2005, 02:24 PM
    I heard it was resoundingly pretentious, but I'm more intrigued now b/c of this thread. The actors are all generally very good, too.
    Congratulations Plannerbabs! You just recorded the 1000th post in the TemporaryCyburbiaForums. Enjoy your fame while it lasts!

:rawk:
    :cheers:
    :banana:
    :patriot:

Now back to work! :whippy:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan@Jan 28 2005, 07:07 PM
    Cute.
    Huckabees Mission Statement

The Huckabees corporation is dedicated to bringing value to communities across the country and the world. While our low retail prices are one way that we accomplish this goal, it is our commitment to our shared values as Americans that is the guiding principle we rely on to guarantee success.

Our corporate philosophy is based on ten simple principles that provide the foundation we build upon:

1. Customers, suppliers and investors are all valued members of our family.
    2. The communities we serve are our own neighborhoods.
    3. Foster an environment of teamwork and co-operation.
    4. Every employee's opinion is important.
    5. Reward and celebrate accomplishments.
    6. Investing in employees yields the greatest return.
    7. Ethics, responsibility and transparency in corporate governance.
    8. Innovation and responsible growth are necessary for survival.
    9. Strive for greater efficiency.
    10. Be better than you were yesterday.

Building Strong Communities

Since opening our first store in 1964, Huckabees has been committed to building strong communities.

Huckabees 53 super centers across the country are responsible for over 40 million dollars per year in donations to charities and organizations working to strengthen family bonds and bring aid and comfort to those in need

Over the years we have built strong relationships with organizations like Sunny Day House, The Children's Literacy Center and Turning Page that work tirelessly to bring educational opportunity to lives of neglected children.

Environmental Awareness is the 2004 theme for the Huckabees Charitable Foundation. Working with Friends of the Trees nationally and the Open Spaces Coalition locally, we have recycled nearly 700 tons of paper waste and planted over 14,000 new trees in woodlands ravaged by fire and disease.

Strong communities are the backbone of America, and Huckabees is working to make ours stronger.

Be sure to visit the disclaimer link - http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/huckabees/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by tranplanner+Jan 28 2005, 07:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tranplanner @ Jan 28 2005, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-plannerbabs@Jan 28 2005, 02:24 PM
    I heard it was resoundingly pretentious, but I&#39;m more intrigued now b/c of this thread. The actors are all generally very good, too.
    Congratulations Plannerbabs&#33; You just recorded the 1000th post in the TemporaryCyburbiaForums. Enjoy your fame while it lasts&#33;

:rawk:
    :cheers:
    :banana:
    :patriot:

Now back to work&#33; :whippy: [/b][/quote]
    Thank you, thank you&#33; I&#39;ve reached one kind of Clubbe&#33; I could not have done it all without you, and look foward to attaining the level of slackiness necessary for the illustrious 1000 Clube&#33;&#33; :rawk: :cheers:
    I don't dream. I plan.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I was going to rent this movie tonight, but it&#39;s not out on video for another couple of weeks - for some reason I figured that since EG had seen it on a plane, it must be out on video...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jul 2011, 8:05 AM
  2. Teen heart throbs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Feb 2011, 9:35 PM
  3. Heart vs. head: choosing between two jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 9:03 PM