Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Five Years Experience--an Absolute? [Temp 2]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003

Five Years Experience--an Absolute? [Temp 2]

Hey, all,
    I'm asking the Throbbing Brain ™ for some career advice. Thinking long-term, since I plan on staying put for a while longer, but I've noticed that a lot of positions ask for 5 years' experience. Why is 5 years a magical number? Does one suddenly attain deep insights into zoning five years from one's start date? And just how flexible is this five years? Does education or where one's previous 4.89 years experience were gained factor much into it? I'm being semi-facetious here, but not entirely, since so many jobs mention it.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think it has to do with a couple of things. First, land use is very hands on learning. 5 years gives you time to get that training. Second, it's a bit of a weed-out. It helps you narrow down the possible candidates.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I was told by a career counselor at school that if you are within 1-1.5 years of that magic number, to go ahead and apply if you feel qualified based on the rest of the description. Depending on where you worked previously, you might have acquired five years of experience in only three.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Down here the 3 to 5 years experience minimum is so damned overused that people that just came out of University or College practically can only apply to McJobs as cashiers of chain supermarkets or taxi drivers... And then politicians wonder why unemployment is so darned high... <_<

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I always see that as the "ideal" candidate. However, you may have 3 years in but have loads of experience.

The only place that number or any number counts is civil service. If you don&#39;t have the years and it&#39;s civil service...you can&#39;t test. And most of the time, if you go in as a provisional appointee, that time does not count either.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Most job descriptions will give a certain # of years experience but I have never let that deter me from applying for any position.

For one thing, you may be the BEST candidate. Period. :banana:

Also, if they are thinking of hiring from within, that will "free up" another position with the organization, and you could be considered for that.

The only problem: HR
    When "they" review the applications, many of them use a check list to determine if your app will be forwarded to the department/division for consideration. If your resume doesn&#39;t show EXACTLY 5 years, they normally toss your app aside.

My advice: ALWAYS send your app/resume to the head of the division/company so that they at least have a chance to look at it. If they are interested enough and don&#39;t receive your resume from HR, they can pull the strings to get your name on the interview list.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not absolute. We&#39;re hiring a person who didn&#39;t meet MQs in terms of experience.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    The job that I have they looked for someone with 3-5 years experence... and I got it with 1. :kneel:
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I&#39;d say go for it, it can&#39;t hurt. I&#39;ve applied to many places were I just met or didn&#39;t meet the qualifications. Of course a few (or many) rejection letters later I finally got a job even though I didn&#39;t meet the minimum qualifications. I guess what projects you&#39;ve worked on in the past, types of software programs you know related to the job, and what they&#39;re looking for related to the position is what really matters.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It depends on the level of the job. If they are asking for a person with five years of experience, I would think that they are hiring at a more senior level than planner 1. I would not let that requirement stop you from applying, though. Most people will look at the quality of the years you have. A person with six years of doing just one thing will not fare as well as someone who has done many jobs and held some senior responsibilities.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Our City was hiring a planner and was asking for 3-5 years experience for a Senior Planner. Found a kid right out of school that interviewed so well they just modifed the position and in the end hired him. I think most of the time it matters on the person interviewing. If an employer finds someone that "clicks" the amount of experience may not be as important.
    All that said, just getting past HR in a large city is the tought part. When routing through 50 or so apps I would assume the first step is to weed out all :unqualified".

Registered
    Nov 2004
    5 years is just enough time to burn your soul out so you will be a good drone.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by munibulldog@Jan 29 2005, 05:13 AM
    5 years is just enough time to burn your soul out so you will be a good drone.
    Agree, imagine interviewing for a position that asks for 5 years and get offered a job that you&#39;d offer a kid fresh out of school. looking back, probably should have taken it. Interviewed with them again, hopefully thay offer me something.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 10:27 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Mar 2008, 3:24 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 11:44 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:06 AM