Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How does the development review process work? (was: Help info on planning)

Registered
    Oct 2005

How does the development review process work? (was: Help info on planning)

SOrry, this is the only place I can post. I need info on how to do a plan checking, what does a planning report include? How does a development review process work? I am in CA. What kind of informantin would be needed for a planning report? I know these questions are vague, but any help wuld be greatly appreciated it. I am going for a job as planning technician, but i am not sure what to say. Want to learn as mush as possible about planning, but don't know where to look. Position is for a city.
    Thank you,
    Alex

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dsertrder
    SOrry, this is the only place I can post. I need info on how to do a plan checking, what does a planning report include? How does a development review process work? I am in CA. What kind of informantin would be needed for a planning report? I know these questions are vague, but any help wuld be greatly appreciated it. I am going for a job as planning technician, but i am not sure what to say. Want to learn as mush as possible about planning, but don't know where to look. Position is for a city.
    Thank you,
    Alex
    Alex, you should be able to post in any of the subforums. I'll move your post into the Zoning subforum, where you'll find lots of current planners -- those who heml manage the development review process for their communities.

Can you post a job description? You don't have to name the employer, What is your background -- planning degree, a related field, something else?

Registered
    May 2004
    I would suggest you get your hands on a copy of "California Land Use and Planning Law" by Daniel Curtin.

Registered
    Oct 2005

plan development process?

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Alex, you should be able to post in any of the subforums. I'll move your post into the Zoning subforum, where you'll find lots of current planners -- those who heml manage the development review process for their communities.

Can you post a job description? You don't have to name the employer, What is your background -- planning degree, a related field, something else?
    Thanks Dan, i have a degree in Geography with GIS courses. Job description includes: performs research and prepare maps for zning studies, performs all phases of plan checking (don't know this one), collects and tabulates data related to urban land use, population etc in preparation for planning reports and studies; using autoCAD (very little exp with it) and ArcView GIS to prepare graphs, maps, charts, understands the development review process, knows the fundamentals of planning terminology (sorry noplanning courses in my degree, just general urban geog. courses)' read and interpret basic building plans etc.
    How do i sound half knowlwdgeable about all of this. I know a little about zoning, but no idea of fundamentals of planning. I am trying to learn autoCAD, but i know it won't be easy. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Alex

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    "plan checking" This is confiming a project is allowed in the zone district, complies with development regulations in terms of setbacks, heights, parking, etc...

Have a basic understanding of CEQA and the state Subdivision Map Act.

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful.

http://ceres.ca.gov/planning/

www.ceres.ca.gov/ceqa/

And poke around Cal APA, too. Good luck.

http://www.calapa.org/

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2004

filling out job application

Quote Originally posted by dsertrder
    Thanks Dan, i have a degree in Geography with GIS courses. Job description includes: performs research and prepare maps for zning studies, performs all phases of plan checking (don't know this one), collects and tabulates data related to urban land use, population etc in preparation for planning reports and studies; using autoCAD (very little exp with it) and ArcView GIS to prepare graphs, maps, charts, understands the development review process, knows the fundamentals of planning terminology (sorry noplanning courses in my degree, just general urban geog. courses)' read and interpret basic building plans etc.
    How do i sound half knowlwdgeable about all of this. I know a little about zoning, but no idea of fundamentals of planning. I am trying to learn autoCAD, but i know it won't be easy. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Alex

Okay, break down the components of your future employer's wishlist on qualified candidates. Your job is to fill out job duty as best you can, start general (i did that, i did this) and use specific tasks on how you completed the general job function. Don't waste words, be specific. It sounds like you have no practical work experience, so use school related experience as best as you can. Your strength will be in the GIS part of the job requirements.[LIST][*]performs research and prepare maps for zning studies,
    They are asking how much work you have had in creating plans (city, neighborhood and small area studies) If you are not sure what a plan is and its elements, you are at a disadvantage.[*]performs all phases of plan checking
    This is to review a set of physical plans, usually consisting of a site plan and building plan. The site plan includes the following components, landscaping, parking and building orientation. The building plans are primarily for your engineers, unless the municipality has design standards and then you should have building elevations as well. The zoning code will describe how many parking spaces, landscaping, building setback and height is required based on the type of use. Again, if this sounds unfamilar to you, your a disadvantage.[*]collects and tabulates data related to urban land use, population etc in[LIST]
    preparation for planning reports and studies;
    This you should know, especially if you are familar with arcview. The numbers you enter create the different layers. The planning report is simply you doing an analysis of the number in a specific context.[*]using autoCAD (very little exp with it) and ArcView GIS to prepare graphs, maps, charts, understands the development review process
    This should be your strength. The development review process is different from city to city and state to state. Simply put, a set of building or site plans or a future permit (variance, rezone) requires a general process methology to complete in a bureacratic manner, hoops and hurdles. This can be learned easily enough. This is also a test in being able to meet timelines and juggle a variety of permits.[*]knows the fundamentals of planning terminology
    This is jargon, jargon can be learned relatively easily. However, your employers are expecting you to know the basics. i.e. general or long range plan, what is zoning, what is difference between zoning and general plan, building setbacks, front yard, side yard, rear yard, open space, commercial use, industrial use, multi-family, single-family...blah, blah, blah[*]read and interpret basic building plans etc.
    same as plan check

Good luck!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Sep 2006, 3:11 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Aug 2005, 3:36 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 3:19 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Dec 2004, 2:33 PM