Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: October 10, 2005 Question from ZG

Registered
    Sep 1999

October 10, 2005 Question from ZG

First of all, let me make this perfectly clear, this has nothing whatsoever to do with sports. Guys, go away. Ladies, let's talk shoes. Personally, I don't go for brand names. But I know many people do. Where do you shop? What's your favorite?

I pretty much live in tennis shoes but occasionally I see a great pair of shoes at Dillard's or Macy's that I just have to have. But I only buy on sale. What are your shoe weaknesses? Black heels a must; but what else?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am a sucker for Nine West shoes, but I love shoes no matter what brand. I do get most of mine from Stein Mart because of the fact that I don't get to shop for any length of time anymore with Mac. Shoes are great. I at least have 60+ pairs of shoes and there is a need for more!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [high pitched voice on]I love a soft pair of slip-on penny loafers. They are to die for! [/high pitched voice off]
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Sorry, but I've never been one of those women into buying shoes. I tend to buy from the same catalogs where I buy clothes. Comfort is a must for me. Sneakers in unusual colors are fun.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I've got a pretty crabby opinion when it comes to shoe shopping. I'm only 5'4, but I'm extremely flat-footed and have been in a size 10 - 11 since the 6th grade. Finding shoes that aren't like something my grandmother would wear and won't kill my feet is next to impossible. I love the black boots that are out this season, but I've got muscular calves and the zipper won't go all the way up.

As for the rest of my shoe collection, I have black heels for the special work occassions (interviews, big meetings), but the rest of the time I can be found in either sneakers or comfy loafers that I found in the guys shoe section. It's getting cold out, so my sandals are going into storage.

My most recent purchase was a pair of hot pink and gray Adidas running shoes. Besides being comfy to work out in, they are so darn cute!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not a chick, but I'm going to watch this thread until someone admits they have a pair or two of Manolo Blahnik's.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Ecco Wing Tips!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    [deep burly voice on] I just love the way my steel toed boots protect my toes from the jackhammer when I'm out blastin through pavement all day. Sometimes the women start harrassing me with whistles. Can't a man just bust his back in peace, without being objectified. Jeeez. [deep burly voice off]
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im not a shoe woman but when I need shoes its Naturlizer all the way. I love how those of us with wider feet or legs they will ship for free, to my home, the right width or boots for larger legs that are to die for.

They have the most charming womens wingtip looking heels. When I buy shoes from them I buy one in both black and brown just in case.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I'm not a chick, but I'm going to watch this thread until someone admits they have a pair or two of Manolo Blahnik's.
    Absolutely not. I love shoes, and have a ton of them, but I do not spend a lot of money on them, except for sneakers (sorry, I had to fit that word in here). I usually get Adidas or New Balance tennis shoes and pay $75 for them. (Not that $75 is *a lot* of money in the shoe world).

The rest of my shoes I seriously get at Payless or Wal-mart. Not only because they are cheap, but you can find a lot of cute shoes there and they are usually a hell of a lot more comfortable than the expensive ones. I will spend more money on them but only if I fall in love with something while shopping.

Ok, another chick question while we are on the topic. What do you all think about purses? Do you have a lot of them, do you rotate? A lot of my friends have a ton of purses and they will rotate depending on what they are wearing, and what they are doing. I like cute little purses, but for me they are not very practical - I just don't have the time to change purses all the time. I have a small/medium size black/brown pattern purse that I can wear with anything (except formal wear) and I use it all the time.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I wear mainly suits to work. My shoes vary...but my favorites are a pair of Kenneth Coles. I always find Etienne Aigner and Anne Kleins comfy and dressy enough. I buy them only on sale...often at Marshalls or DSW.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have all types of shoes. Lots of black heels, pointy toed, round toed, high heel, lower heel, etc. I also have heels in tan, brown, lighter tan, etc. I have quite a few pairs of boots and just picked up the CUTEST pair in the world, they are mid calf (black) with fake fur above, high heel, cannot wait to wear them. Most of my shoes are named brand, I have to try all my shoes on, as I have foot problems (collapsing arches). I have New Balance tennis shoes and won't wear anything else. I like nine west, Bandolini, Anne Klein, Etienne Aignerm etc....

And as far as purses, yes I definately have a problem. I have about 5 Coach purses and a few others higher end brands. I change them out depending on what I am wearing out in the evening, as far as everyday, I carry the same large bag, once in a while I change form a black one to a brown one. Some days when $$ isn't going so well I contiplate selling all these damn purses that I definately don't need, just haven't been able to bring myself to do it .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Our front hall closet has been taken over by my shoe collection. Many, many pairs, for almost any activity. Keens and Adidas trail runners, and Chacos for camping and rugged site visits. Black Danskos for everyday, and black ballet flats from Target. Heels--mostly either Ralph Lauren or Ann Taylor, and I think there's a pair of Kenneth Coles in there, too. My favorite black Cole-Haan loafers with the Nike Air, for wearing with khakis and black and gray wool pants. Several pairs of Birkenstocks lying around, including a really cool pair I found at Marshall's for $25. No Manolos, though. I'm a shoe snob, but I'm also a government employee!
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've just begin to knock my wardrobe a notch more upscale, but I'm not a fashion slave. I actually went to Nordstrom on Saturday to hunt down a pair of Bill's Khakis, but unfortunately the size and color I wanted weren't in stock. I ended up buying what, to me, seemed like an expensive pair of made-in-the-USA New Balance sneakers at another store in the mall.

Except for my suit and some Polo stuff, most of my wardrobe is mid-end. Among the guys here, I think donk is the most knowledgable and metro when it comes to fashion, so expect him to check in soon.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I've just begin to knock my wardrobe a notch more upscale, but I'm not a fashion slave. I actually went to Nordstrom on Saturday to hunt down a pair of Bill's Khakis, but unfortunately the size and color I wanted weren't in stock. I ended up buying what, to me, seemed like an expensive pair of made-in-the-USA New Balance sneakers at another store in the mall.

Except for my suit and some Polo stuff, most of my wardrobe is mid-end. Among the guys here, I think donk is the most knowledgable and metro when it comes to fashion, so expect him to check in soon.
    Its a scary day when I am the most "metro" in a group of people. Add the way i dress / my style as one more reason I got the boot last year.

Dan what size and colour of Bill's do you want? I have a pair of new, unhemmed 38's in khaki/tan, plain front never worn, washed twice. PM if you are interested, also have another pair of Bill's that no longer fit due to weight loss and alterations(pleated front, moss green, hemmed and resized - not sure what size now). While I like the construction and fabric quality of Bill's they have way too much rise for me (baggy). Bought these from an independent menswear store in fredericton

Most of my clothing is low end of high end pants and shirts (boss, samuelson, strellson) that I buy on sale at end of season. Looking to buy a high end suit shortly (fears the wrath of Dobopoq ). Buy these at Harry Rosen. Also go to a job shopper - Toms Place.

As for shoes, I know I've mentioned my shoe collection in the past. I recently picked up a US made pair of NB (906's) Bought these at the NB Store near my house. They where only $30 more than the chinese model.

Also looking to buy another pair of high end jeans. thinking I'll try "dry" ones. These are no wash, rigid jeans that you don't wash for a while so they break into your body.

Shoes come primarily from Dacks(full leather) and a pair of Fluevogs(casual)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I sense a Men of Cyburbia Fashion Show Showndown in the near future!!!

Just curious, how many Gay Men of Cyburbia are here? If they're around, the Straight Men of Cyburbia have a lot of work to do!
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 11 Oct 2005 at 12:33 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Off-topic:

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I sense a Men of Cyburbia Fashion Show Showndown in the near future!!!

Just curious, how many Gay Men of Cyburbia are here? If they're around, the Straight Men of Cyburbia have a lot of work to do!
    Don 't you mean an old school death match? I see it now who will kick a$$ in their pradas/gucci loafers and choke the other person out with their cashmere scarf. For the record I own neither of these things.

I'll be lining up on the straight side.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Off-topic:
    Don 't you mean an old school death match? I see it now who will kick a$$ in their pradas/gucci loafers and choke the other person out with their cashmere scarf. For the record I own neither of these things.

I'll be lining up on the straight side.
    No, not a Death Match. We need something akin to a fashion show, not a fist fight.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Oct 2005, 3:53 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Oct 2005, 12:18 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 18 Oct 2005, 7:55 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 4:20 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 08 Oct 2005, 7:06 AM