Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Colorado Denver progress report

Registered
    Oct 2005

University of Colorado Denver progress report

I am new to Cyburbia and as I mentioned in my introduction I am excited to pick your brains. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide and apologies upfront if this subject has already been addressed.

Although I would like to work internationally for a while, I am not ready to take the dive into a pile of debt with the hopes that such a job is waiting for me on the other side (MIT etc. - assuming I could even get accepted in the first place ). Therefore, I'm looking closer to home and at a much lower price tag. I live in Denver and like the idea of in-state tuition, but am having a hard time placing the quality of the education I will receive from UCD relative to other programs such as PSU (I have an interest in sustainable development). I am looking into the MURP/MPA dual degree program and seeking insight from anyone who is familiar with the current professors and the program in general. Is the program in decline or on the upswing? Along the same lines, does anyone know of key professors that may be on the verge of retirement? Is UCD in the "respected" category in the planning community?

CommonGood

Registered
    May 2005
    A lot has changed in the last year or so since I left the planning program at UCD. Dwyane Nuzm the Dean of Urban Design and Planning passed away. He was a great man and a great Prof., but the program is still strong, the social side of the program is a little wreak since the loss of Joe Juose (Sp), and Sturd has not been on his A game these last few year. As for the rest of the program I think it is on an up and up. The new Dean of the college had made some key changes and has given the program a focus. As for the respect of the program it is said to be top 10, but I have nothing to back that up and what there are less than hundred planning programs. My shirt today is top ten and I am one of three guys in my office. But what I can say is that in my new job in D.C. a number of lawyers and consultant that I work with tell me that they hear CU has a good planning program or just say that is a good school, but they are also trying to get project approved. On the other hand the planning world is all about who you know, and where you went mean something, but there whole firms that are made up of K-state grads, CSU grads (they only have LA) or CU grads, because that is where the big-wig went to school.
    One last note, Grad-school is all about what you put into it, so where you go is really only a personal thing. I hear Portland State is a great program, but I know nothing about it. Go Buffs!
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry, I can't help you;
    I have been away from Denver and the program since '91.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Go for it.....

I've been out of the program for several years now, but:
    From what I can tell (online & friends) is that the strengths of the Planning and Design department are still going to be found in the adjunct faculty for the elective courses with solid physical planning/historic (great assoc. professor), environmental and economic (good analytical prof.) concentrations. Not so strong in transportation and policy....but that's just me......plus you can always get the policy stuff in your Public Administration major.....

Reputation is what we make of it and if you follow the example of KSU grads (mostly LSA grads and to a lesser extent Planning grads) and sing your own praises loud enough, everyone will think you and your program are amazing....... Just like everything, they who sing the loudest will be heard by the most (even if they don't sing so well sometimes , they will still be heard and therefore remembered.... ) Cu grads prefer to do their singing through the quality of work.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    State funding for CU has been dropping consistently, and it is on track to become the first public university to receive no public support. I am concerned that we will see an outflow of the most talented researchers and instructors to other schools able and willing to pay more. There is an immediate effect to this, but also a long-term one as the school's reputation declines. I went to a tier 1-2 regional university that has now dropped to tier 4 as they took any student who could pay, and failed to fund key programs at a level that would keep the most talented staff. My degree means a lot less now.

I do think Portland State has an outstanding program, and it is one I would recommend to anyone interested in pursuing sustainability.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Wait what happened to Joe Juhasz (not sure of the spelling either)? If he died that's three since I left Colorado. Jesus.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    Wait what happened to Joe Juhasz (not sure of the spelling either)? If he died that's three since I left Colorado. Jesus.
    No he just took the money and ran! He may still be teaching under grad, but grad-school classes. I think I have to double check.

Registered
    Oct 2005

Current Thoughts

This is my first Cyburbia experience, thought I'd add a little current student perspective. I'm in the Second year and have a pretty good feel for it, and I have to say, again, it's all how you make it. There are several required classes that are garbage, at least at the approximately $900 per class in-state tuition, that will rise less or more depending on refs C & D, there are also some truly inspirational profs and interesting classes. I think the assesment of good not great applies, leading again to do what you will , and it will be as you choose. For example, I have simply decided to write a thesis and creat my own major because I felt there wasn't enough emphasis on sustainable development. My most sincere recommendation would be to fill out your FAFSA and CU financial aid forms early, there is generally 2-4K per student avail unless you're too rich to worry about it. And, I think we are on a pronounced upswing, though if C & D don't pass, I do fear the consequences.

Registered
    Oct 2005

Colorado, Please PASS REF C&D

Thanks for all of the good input about the program, good and bad. What I am gathering is that there aren't really a whole lot of compelling reasons to spend oodles of $$ to go out of state or to a high falutin private school. Would you agree?

I am sorry to hear about the loss of Dwyane Nuzm. DCBuff, are you referring to Dr. Thomas A. Clark as the man bringing a new focus? Can anyone comment on Dr. Thomas A. Clark, what his focus is, and if anyone thinks that he will bring the program more national/international attention -- he seems to have a very stacked resume?

Moseyman and all, do you feel that writing a thesis adds any credibility to a planning degree if one doesn't plan on moving beyond a Masters to a Doctoral program.

Also, would everyone agree that the UCD program is said to be in the top 10?

Thanks again for your insight and comments.

A-Basin is hoping to open up the fun this weekend for all of you snow leopards out there.

CommonGood

Registered
    May 2005
    I went to opening weekend last year at A-basin and we ended up just drink on the upper deck and seeing how long the wait was. After two and a half hours and 4 beers we went to blackhawk doubled are money at blackjack.

Tom Clark is a smart man, but he lack focus, but has been with the school a long time. He means well, but he is not great as looks on paper. He has been dean before and does a better in a admin. role than a teach. I was refering to Mark Gelenrnter, the Dean of the college. Before I left he had started to define what the plannig schools should specializes in and improve on it.

The extra money will get you a title, but not a better education.

Good luck and have fun on beach at A-basin

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Well, my impression of Tom Clark was that he's a good professor of the analytical components of planning (methods/economics/market trends/demographics). The department really needs an extrovert to counter act some of those loud mouths in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture and Architecture.. By loud mouths, I mean those who sing LOUD and Clear for their profession (yes, a good thing ) This is that Starchitect syndrome that is so obviously a part of the architecture/LA world But alas, the planning god seems to have created most of us from that same brick of introvert clay If he is to be a departmental director or even dean I would just suggest that he step away from the computer and get out more......(remember my viewpoint is a couple of years old and may not be valid anymore....I'm interested to read what you all think....)
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2005

We Passed Ref C!

Thanks for the info everyone. Referendum C passed last night, so I am feeling good about the fact that when it comes right down to it, the people of Colorado do care about higher education in this state, despite what the (R) legislatures of the past 12 years think.

Can anyone comment on the perception among the planning community that CU Denver is seen as being one of the top 10 planning programs?

Cheers -- more snow on the way to the high country!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CommonGood
    Can anyone comment on the perception among the planning community that CU Denver is seen as being one of the top 10 planning programs?
    Q. Who's rating report did this come from ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2005

Top 10?

It was mentioned in a previous post by DCBuff -- "As for the respect of the program it is said to be top 10, but I have nothing to back that up and what there are less than hundred planning programs".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Colorado-Denver MURP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Aug 2009, 12:46 PM
  3. Denver, Colorado: Berkeley
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:48 AM