Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unique and effective public transit situations

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Unique and effective public transit situations

I am attempting to create a collection of unique or effective management of public transportation from around the United States or the world. (Such as, for example, that article posted regarding the former mayor of Bogota) If anyone has articles or stories that they would be able to share with me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Charlie Denker
    I am attempting to create a collection of unique or effective management of public transportation from around the United States or the world. (Such as, for example, that article posted regarding the former mayor of Bogota) If anyone has articles or stories that they would be able to share with me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.
    In other words, "Best Practices" in transit.

I would have to say one of the better things I've seen are displays in the Barcelona Metro that tell you when the next train is going to arrive. I'd say they were correct within 10 seconds 95% of the time. Helps cut down on the frustration factor when you need to get somewhere. Now that I think about it, one of the biggest frustrations in transit is not knowing anything.
    Similarly a friend told me that in Japan (I forget which city), in the subway station, there was a display of the train line and each train has a GPS system so all the trains on the train line were plotted out for everyone to see. Needless to say the display also calculated the arrival of the next train at your station.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

time tables

information to palmpilots, text updates
    http://www.its.washington.edu/mybus-palm/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 05 Feb 2012, 4:30 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 May 2010, 1:12 PM
  3. Replies: 21