Urban planning community

Poll results: Which one are you?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slob - never cleans up after himself/herself yet the first to complain about others' uncleanliness (be honest)

1 3.85%
  • Gossiper (AKA Snitch) - knows the 4-11 on everyone's personal and professional lives (sometimes without their knowledge); also the first to tell the boss about others' transgressions while conveniently leaving out their own

0 0%
  • Know-It-All - no need for explanation

3 11.54%
  • Mother - takes care of everyone; always has medicine, home-cooked food, etc.

1 3.85%
  • Martyr - works excessively (and sometimes unnecessary) long hours and wants to entire world to know about it; works hard but never accepts offers for help but still expects pity

1 3.85%
  • Bitch/Bastard - can be selfish and stubborn, his/her own needs are considered before others; his/her own mood will dictate the general mood of the office

5 19.23%
  • Other - I will explain below

7 26.92%
  • The young hipster/baby

8 30.77%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Office Characters

Registered
    Dec 1998

Office Characters

I'd be the first to admit that I'm the office "Bitch." :p
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I jsut stay out of the way till my time in hell is up
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm still the office baby. I'm the youngest town employee (at nearly 29, although I wasn't for about 1 1/2 years...until the Jr. Engineer left)....so I'm the one everyone wants to know about my wedding, my daughter, etc., etc.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2002

Altruistic Egoist

Although I freely admit I'm the office Bastard, I do it to get the most for our company - even if it means dictating the office mood, and the moods of every local authority in the city...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Okay, I'm the listener/biotch. Everyone comes by to tell me their personal issues, but they all know it won't go anywhere. What is said in my office stays here if it isn't work related. Now.. if they talk too loud and others hear them, that's not my problem.
    If I keep getting interrupted when I'm on the phone though, I turn into the office biotch. That, or if the planner that picks on me for being so young smacks me in the back of the head with a stack of papers DURING the study session, yeah, then I'm not so nice and not such a good listener the next day.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Psychotic

You just never know which Mastiff will show up on any particular day.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Green

Young....don't completely have a handle on everything. (of course this is only my fourth day in private sector)

Registered
    Jul 2002

I'm a marytr and green

Right now I work for an airline as a financial analyst, which means in the time that I have been in this industry a little over 2 years all we have done is cut costs and lay off people (myself included). i believe there is another round of cuts coming through and I'll probably get the ax myself, stupid job title has nothing to do with what I actually do... and yet I am working until 8-9 each night trying to find a way to save any extra money so someone else can keep their job.

I am also green in that I speak my mind to my bosses boss. He enjoys that as most others don't and therefore he comes to me quite often. unfortunately, I don't always end up playing the politics perfectly which gets me in trouble sometime.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm a slob, but I don't complain about everyone else. I also have the genetic disposition to be the know it all. My fathers side of the family is real bad that way. I try to fight it but my wife would say that I am not very successful at it.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Follow up to being the office "baby"

Another drawback to being younger than everyone....I'm considered to be the "Computer Guy." Whenever the IT director is unavailable (or even when he's available for that matter), I get phone calls and e-mails about computer problems or the ever present "how do you do this?" questions.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

Crackpot / Encyclopedia

The crackpot: (not to be confused with crack head)
    You never know if I'm going to come in with my head shaved (or dyed blonde). You also never know which 'little problem' is going to send my blood pressure screaming through the roof, making my voice the pitch of a howler monkey.

The Encyclopedia: Everyone calls me to find out what should be on agendas, and where I will be getting them the support materials. Hello. We have an engineer. We have a Clerk. We have a Finance Director. GET IT FROM THE REPONSIBLE PARTY!

Registered
    Jul 2002

character

A cross between a sage and a dirty old man. Actually I'm just stacking time and keeping a moving target. Harder to hit. But my mind is like a steel trap......a little rusty and illegal in 27 states.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I added young hipster/baby since we were getting a lot of those, me included. I'm almost exactly what NH said, except no kids - and I'm the only one in my office without kids, and the youngest by 10 years. In general society, I would definitely NEVER classify myself as a "young hipster", but in this crowd, that's who I am, in addition to being the department IT gal (specialty is teaching everyone how to use MS Office and their email, in addition to doing all their more challenging internet searches).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm the eclectic moody young (for this office) guy with a wide palette of biting sarcasm and I carry a bag full of lightning fast retorts. The true-believer and ethical puritan that finds fault in all politicians. The guy who makes more coffee than he drinks. The computer guy. The only functioning strong back. The runner off of bad neighborhood riffraff and the guy that makes sure the email works. Iím a lazy overachiever and likeable Cliff Claven.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by KMateja
    I added young hipster/baby since we were getting a lot of those, me included.
    And I modified my vote accordingly.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yes thanks for the baby choice-thats me

im the youngest, dave and i are some of the newer City employees and we are unmarried folks from out of state-needless to say the office broom hildas and mother hens are always sneaking around.

the latest is trying to guess when the latest boyfriend will ask me to get hitched-as if!

i enjoy being the young hip person

im not fearful to go...INTO THE CITY!!!! (i dont get why they fear it)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl

im not fearful to go...INTO THE CITY!!!! (i dont get why they fear it)
    Duh. because they will be killed for crack money, of course! (sadly, my husband has some of this old suburban lady fear syndrome and will only visit Schenectady or Troy under severe nagging and we haven't been shot yet)

Actually Danie, your broom hildas are more likely to get shot in the suburbs than in the city this week.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Dont remind me i just got in from shopping and im tired of running zig zags in the parking lot like this is some war zone.

the stress is getting to folks big time

but yes it seems safer IN the city now than the burbs

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Circus Ringleader?

I seem to be the one in the know (despite being from a different country) and I can figure out most problems. I'm a mid-level supervisor, which means I have to do all the regular work that the other planners do (but more political) + I get to run the planning program on a day to day basis. Since my office feels like a circus half the time, I think this best describes it.

I'm the third youngest in the office (I just hired a planner that is 25), and the other guy is a week and a half younger than me. The whole place is young/hip (the director is 41 and fairly cool), but I think I'm the one that leads the most single of the lifestyles (attend ska/punk/rock concerts most every week, go to parties, etc.).

I think I would also qualify as the know it all... or at least I think I do.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We don't have enough office interaction to pick up characterizations. I guess I'm the baby with an attitude.

I was the youngest by 10 years until we hired a new Planning Assistant. My place of employment is dull. There are really no characters here. I would fall into the young hipster category. I am the only one that seems to not have a spouse and/or kids. It is always fun to come in on Monday with tales of fun parties/bars/events from the weekend! I get strange looks when people come in to my office and hear rap, punk, metal, or indie music coming from my stereo.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Yeah I'm the young one too (27) but not treated like it. Unlike my last job.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Crackpot / Encyclopedia

Originally posted by bturk
    You also never know which 'little problem' is going to send my blood pressure screaming through the roof, making my voice the pitch of a howler monkey.
    BTW - I call this the "Frank Costanza Syndrome"

Hey bturk, just repeat to your self...

"Serenity now! Serenity now!"
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 1996
    http://www.geocities.com/skizzy111/serenty2.wav

...and remember that the great holiday of Festivus is coming up too! :p

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Sit too much in the office
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Your favorite movie characters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Apr 2011, 3:22 PM
  3. The Office UK & US