Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: College of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs (Wayne State/Detroit)

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004

College of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs (Wayne State/Detroit)

i was hoping that someone can give me some feedback on how the planning program has changed, if at all, since wayne state disbanded the college of urban, labor, and metropolitan affairs. i know that all of the programs were allegedly moved to other colleges within the university (i think planning went to the liberal arts & science college).

i was hoping someone who is enrolled could give an inside scoop as to student/professor morale, perceived quality of the program, etc.

the obvious message that this action sends is that the university is abandoning its urban mission. do you feel that is true?

sorry for all the questions! thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Wayne State

I am also applying to Wayne State, and have heard that the program is great. But, no hard facts.

Peter

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    bump......

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was the valedictorian of the ischool the year I graduate (by default). I double majored with a degree in Geography from the School of Liberal Arts and one from CULMA in Urban Studies.

In the 80's this school was rather loose so it does not surprise me to see it break up. I had classes from all sorts of disciplines that fit together for the urban studies portion some of which made sense (sociology and culture), others did not (human biology?).

In terms of abanoning an urban mission? I hardly doubt that. The school has a gigantic student base of those who cannot afford to go away to school, is located at a major crossroads for both transit and freeway, directs the largest medical center in the state, and has gone the extra mile in improving the neighborhood that surrounds the school and by making campus more livable by building these newfangled things.. what do they call them again?? oh yes dorms, which the school never had before. In fact today news had an article about this very subject.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business...F01-361582.htm

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 May 2010, 10:21 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:34 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Jan 2006, 9:09 PM
  5. Replies: 11