Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Venice ?

Registered
    Sep 2002

New Venice ?

Apparently, New Orleans has 87 miles of canals that are visible and 85 miles underground. Some 25 - 30 feet wide. Canal Street, once the widest street in the world, was planned for a canal in the median, but never built. By contrast, Venice has 28 miles of canals.

Opportunity or dilemma? Dyke and pump and pour billions upon billions of US dollars until the next hurricane wipes Orleans off the map, or rebuild a City of Canals?

Registered
    Oct 2005

new venice

I agree heartily with your idea. by the way, I too am a planner on vancouver island. Campbell River, to be exact.

Adam Fitch

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by KEViNO
    Apparently, New Orleans has 87 miles of canals that are visible and 85 miles underground. Some 25 - 30 feet wide. Canal Street, once the widest street in the world, was planned for a canal in the median, but never built. By contrast, Venice has 28 miles of canals.

Opportunity or dilemma? Dyke and pump and pour billions upon billions of US dollars until the next hurricane wipes Orleans off the map, or rebuild a City of Canals?
    Actually Canal Street was a canal. Hundreds of Irish immigrants died of yellow fever digging it (slaves were considered too valuable to risk for such hazardous work). It was filled in years later when horse-drawn street cars became in vogue.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is one of the first good, unique ideas I have heard come from discussions of rebuilding. It may or may not be practical, but at least it is not another "do not rebuild" diatribe. New Orleans will be rebuilt. It is only a question of what the new city will look like. Thanks!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Hundreds of Irish immigrants died of yellow fever digging it (slaves were considered too valuable to risk for such hazardous work).
    Do you have a citation for this claim of fact?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The urban planning of Venice
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2006, 1:00 PM