Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land use planning sources

Registered
    Oct 2005

Land use planning sources

Does anybody know where I can find information regarding land use planning principles? I guess I would need basic information about land use (fundamentals, regulations etc), for a planning trainee position. Need to find out as mush as possible about this subject. Anybody know of any good websites (that do not charge to download info/articles), or any books that cover this subject? Anybody willing to share their wealth of knowledge, with somebody trying desperately to enter the profession?. Additionally, what kind of maps do planners use? I am used to topographic(relief) maps, where can I find zoning or other types of planning maps to study? Thanks a lot for any help, I would really appreciate anybody willing to act as surrogate mentor, if willing.
    Thanks,
    Alex

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Look under certification at the APA website (www.planning.org). There is a list of recommended readings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dsertrder
    Does anybody know where I can find information regarding land use planning principles? I guess I would need basic information about land use (fundamentals, regulations etc), for a planning trainee position. Need to find out as mush as possible about this subject. Anybody know of any good websites (that do not charge to download info/articles), or any books that cover this subject? Anybody willing to share their wealth of knowledge, with somebody trying desperately to enter the profession?. Additionally, what kind of maps do planners use? I am used to topographic(relief) maps, where can I find zoning or other types of planning maps to study? Thanks a lot for any help, I would really appreciate anybody willing to act as surrogate mentor, if willing.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    You can try the About Planning website (http://www.aboutplanning.org/). It's got lots of information on the Planning profession and links to numerous sites that may also be helpful.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Free Publications in PA.

http://www.newpa.com/default.aspx?id=132

The above link is to free on-line publications from the PA. Governor's Center for Local Government Services. Scroll towards the bottom and you will find about 12 publications on land use planning issues. These publications are written for laypersons and young professionals. While they are specific to PA. law, you probably will find some things that are useful in other states.

Maryland's Department of Planning also has tons of excellent free publications on-line, with an emphasis on Smart Growth.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jun 2013, 11:15 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 12:33 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 10:29 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Apr 2008, 3:03 PM
  5. Planning Law sources
    Student Commons