Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MySpace hoax leading to suicide - what do you think

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

MySpace hoax leading to suicide - what do you think

what do you think of this story?

I think you can kill the spirit of another person, and I think a teenager is still a child in so many ways - so I think this Mom was cruel, immature and incredulous in her actions and her understanding of what went down - she should not be tried or accused in our laws, but she did push her over the edge

but, this also brings up the larger issue of blaming bullying on the kid who fires a few rounds in the high school and the most recent attack

but I do think this is different - an adult cyber-messing with an already troubled kid who then kills herself - unthinkable

http://us.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayofl....ap/index.html

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...e-756177890e80

http://meganhaditcoming.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

http://www.megansvigilantes.blogspot.com/

this is why I really hate the cyber world for teens, too -
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 07 Dec 2007 at 2:17 PM. Reason: more links

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This is a horrifying story, I guess more so because I have a teenager myself, as a number of us here do. While criminally there will be no charges handed down, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a civil suit.

My heart aches for the family who lost their daughter. From what I have read Megan had previous issues socially in the public school she attended with the daughter of the woman who created the fictitious person on MySpace. That daughter was friends with Megan but the friendship petered out when Megan changed schools and gained a new group of friends. The premise of the MySpace persona was for the parent of the ex-friend to find out what Megan thought of her daughter now they weren't friends.

To me it is incomprehensible that a parent would go down such a crooked path to figure out what was going on between the girls. I am all for knowing what's happening in your kid's life but at some point you have to back off and let them sort out their own personal relationships with others (if it is abusive or harmful interference is definitely called for, but with fellow adults). To unduly interfere with the intent of being malicious is unacceptable and unjustifiable in my opinion. She may not have done anything expressly "illegal" but what she did was certainly immoral.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I read an interesting article today about the woman who instigated the hoax. Apparently, she has been "shunned" in the neighborhood, she's getting death threats, someone threw a brick through her window, etc. Not that I condone this, but she certainly deserves it.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    On one hand, I think the shunning and mild vigilante are scary, because like a neighbor said in an interview, they might get the wrong house.

On the other, I am taking a lot of pleasure in reading about how she is being treated. I hope it follows her for the rest of her life. I pity her kids for what they must be going through with all the "shunning," for the fact that one of them helped push that girl over the edge, and for the fact that they've obviously had very poor parents.

I don't know what "should" happen, though. Nothing can bring her back and I'm sure that's what everyone really wants, to undo the past.

Edit:

I just read the blog by the mother who created that fake account. I am appalled. She is a deluded b*tch who acts like a 14 year old and feels absolutely no remorse for what she did. That she told the girl's parents to "get over it" is unbelievable. I really don't know what to say.
    Last edited by Tresmo; 07 Dec 2007 at 3:39 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Where is the blog?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Where is the blog?
    Google using "Crazy stupid mother who should have her children taken from her"

It should be the first and only search result.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    This story is receiving a lot of media here in Australia- we evidentally also have the same net bullying issues over here.

Its sad that the law cannot do anything, and while i dont think vigilante behaviour is good- at least the community is showing its thoughts on the situation. The mother needs to be seen by a mental health professional as far as im concerned.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    The mother needs to be seen by a mental health professional as far as im concerned.
    I agree. She obviously has issues of her own if she has to anonymously mess with a teenage kid.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Edit:

I just read the blog by the mother who created that fake account. I am appalled. She is a deluded b*tch who acts like a 14 year old and feels absolutely no remorse for what she did. That she told the girl's parents to "get over it" is unbelievable. I really don't know what to say.
    Now I find out it's not even her blog. It's someone pretending to be her. Wonder how she feels about that. This whole thing is a big lesson in why you don't use the internet to do your dirty work.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    While what the mother did may not be illegal, it sure seems to open her up to a civil suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress. I expect to see a lawsuit shortly. The evidence and testimony in the suit should be interesting and likely will shed some light on what really happened. And of course there will be evidence that Megan was a bad person and had it coming. Could be ugly.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Google using "Crazy stupid mother who should have her children taken from her"

It should be the first and only search result.
    Nope, sorry, the first result there was a blog talking about Britney Spears...

But that's an entirely different can of worms.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Another chapter in "how to manage your child's life to make it the way you want it to be". Like the parents who scream at their kid's coaches. Or call their kid's college to challenge their grades or assignment to dorms or classes. They want to make everything right for their kids. The normal approach with a "social" issue to let the kids work it out, or if it gets really bad, talk to the other parents. It is bizarre for a parent to take on a child. She should be shunned. Or worse.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    You know it will haunt her for the rest of her life!!!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm a little slow in reading post here lately. This little girl lived in my neighborhood and a lot of the kids around here knew her (I did not and neither did my boys). The mother is being shunned, the most I know of right now is that she had to close her sales (not sure what, coupon books or something) business down because she has been completely boycotted. So it appears she is getting a small bit of payback for the horror she has caused Megan's family.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Suicide Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 16 Feb 2009, 8:55 PM
  2. Myspace for planners
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Feb 2007, 9:42 PM
  3. Is this Myspace craze out of hand?
    Friday Afternoon Club