Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hundreds of long-lost messages from PAIRC and refugee boards back online!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Hundreds of long-lost messages from PAIRC and refugee boards back online!

I'd like to take the opportunity to welcome about 3,500 long-lost messages to the Cyburbia Forums; threads from the old WWWBoard-based PAIRC Forum and Cyburbia Cafe from 1996 to 2000, and from two Invision Power Board-based refugee forums from when the forums were down for a few days in September 2003 and January 2005.

The old messages bear the original posting date. To find them quickly, search for title lines that include [WWWBoard], [Temp 1] or [Temp 2].

Some infrequently asked questions:

How many old messages were moved here?

All the old messages from the two Invision-based refugee forums were preserved.

A guesstimate is that about 30% of the old PAIRC/Cyburbia Cafe messages were recovered and integrated into this database. A lot of messages were lost to time, unfortunately. Many found messages weren't integrated; these include blank responses, job and conference announcements, "you will be kindly hire me most very muchly sir please" pleas, French and Spanish language messages, and new Web site announcements. Really, there was a lot of cruft in the old PAIRC Forums.

Will old posts be attributed to me?

For the most part, yes.

Back in the good old days, before forum registration, users poted using their real name or a different alias than they use now. With many old PAIRC Forums/Cyburbia Cafe messages, I did some detective work to determine their original poster, and some database hacking to associate the posts with the poster's current username.

If you see an old post that you made, but it isn't attributed to you, let me know. Check out the reposts from the Discus-based Cyburbia Cafe that NHPlanner and I made in 2001, too, for any posts you might have made that have not been properly attributed to you.

Will my post count go up?

If you posted in any of the IPB-based refugee forums or have posts attributed to you from the WWWBoard-based PAIRC Forums/Cyburbia Cafe, your post count should have gone up sometime last week.

I posted a message back years ago. Can you change my registration date to the date of my first post?

If you point out the post, definitely. I can't give you a lower user number, though, without a bit of database hacking. I'll see if it's possible.

Have lost private messages been resurrected?

From the Invision Power Baord-based refugee forums, yes. The WWWBoard-based PAIRC Forums/Cyburbia Cafe did not have a private message system.

Gus Drum? Jerry Weitz? Lisa in Las Cruces? Who the heck are they?

I created user accounts to correspond with posters that had a lot of messages on the old WWWBoard-based PAIRC Forums/Cyburbia Cafe, but who disappeared in later years. Just because there's an account for Planzilla or some other long-lost user doesn't mean they are here again; it's just a dummy account to properly credit the person behind the alias for the posts they made.

In two cases, dummy users were created and then banned.

If you know any of these old posters, why not send them an email and invite them back to the Cyburbia Forums?

Do the old messages appear in their original subforums

The subforum taxonomy was simplified in the refugee boards, and radically different in the WWWBoard-based PAIRC Forums/Cyburbia Cafe. Resurrected messages have been integrated into the subforum that best matches the subject matter.

Where's the very first message ever posted?

Here. It's just a test post, but check out the date. It appeared in the old "Planning" subforum of the PAIRC Forums.

Are you looking for anything else?

There used to be a planning student listserv called URBANET that went offline a few years ago. I have no idea who to contact for the archive, but if it can be found, the old messages could be integrated into the student subforum. URBANET messages didn't originate from Cyburbia, but it would be nice to host the archive here, for the sake of preserving a bit of planning-related Internet history. The same goes for other now-dead planning-related listservs and message boards.

Thanks Dan!

That's not a question, but you're welcome. We all thank you for your posts through the years!

Slightly, OT: So, March 24, 2006 will be Cyburbia's Tenth Anniversary?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Slightly, OT: So, March 24, 2006 will be Cyburbia's Tenth Anniversary?
    The 10th anniversary of the message board, at least. The real 10th anniversary of Cyburbia was October 24, 1994 -- the approximate date when the NCSA Web server was hacked onto the University at Buffalo School fo Architecture and Planning mail server and PAIRC was created -- so next week will be the 11th anniversary of the site.

Except for a few university architecture and planning school sites, and a couple of planning departments in California, and a couple of federal government agencies, I believe Cyburbia is the oldest planning-related Web site online.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Long lost uncle!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Sep 2003, 12:43 PM
  2. Perry's long lost sister ...
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Jan 1999, 4:22 PM