Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chickens in residential districts

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Chickens in residential districts

We have recently received a request for a text amendment that would permit chickens in residential districts. I was curious see if any other counties, cities, or villages had this as a permitted use. If so, what type of restrictions are attached to the use? Is it permitted per district? A special use? Please let me know if you have any information on this topic.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    What type of residential district? We allow them in our Rural Residential District, which requires a 2 acre minimum lot size. No "farm" animals or live stock of any kind in any other residential district.

We set the standard at 4-acres. Further, in the residetial zones, they require a special use through the BZA. They are a permitted use in the 3 ag districts we have. To clarify things, I'm the director for a county building and planning department in Metro Indianapolis. We deal with both advancing residential development as well as rural/agricultural issues.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

foghorn leghorn notwithstanding

wow - i am just now dealing with a rooster problem. an area with 2 acre zoning has a neighbor dispute about a really loud rooster -

but the keeping of fowl is one of many classic new england traditions so i'm not sure i could pass a zoning ordinance restricting them somehow

so when you permit chickens, remember they come with roosters

and also peacocks are really loud and also a current fad for pets

and they pay us to do this, isn't it great?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Winterbagel County?! That's not far from my old stomping grounds.

If you consider that people are allowed to have dogs, cats, parrots, and many other kinds of animals, then what is the difference between a them and a chicken? I had a great uncle who used to keep pigeons. In my mind, it is not a question of whether they should be permitted, but how many and under what conditions. A large chicken coop does begin to smell. Perhaps you can come up with a formula related to lot size. Sorry I do not have any examples for you.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Mad City Chickens.

Don't know why I remember this, but Madison Wisconsin contemplated permitting chickens in residential neighborhoods. It generated a lot of articles. The group that started it was this:

http://madcitychickens.com/

It has a simplified list of what Madison allows for keeping chickens. Note the no rooster clause.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

stand by your man...

Quote Originally posted by GISgal
    Note the no rooster clause.
    you know, in a way, that's really cruel...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Question - are the chickens pets or are they being used to as a chicken coop for eggs or are they chickens for somebody's bbq? so either they are a pet or a farm animal.. They helps in answering the question.
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

Registered
    May 2002
    In the last town I worked for chickens were allowed in residential districts provided they did not "run at large". No setbacks for coops or anything. I'm sure they'll be revisiting that one some day.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Only on properties that are 10 acres or more.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The City of Whitehall, Michigan is currently dealing with the issue of chickens in residential areas. I could not find a website but google them and you can get a phone number and get some info on it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Every so often I see a rooster walking in the middle of my subdivision street. I have not figured out whose house it belongs to, but the average lot size is about 30-35 feet by 110 feet. I'm pretty sure its against the health codes!

This takes me to another topic that is similar. My neighborhood is mostly recent arrivals from the middle-east. These folks don't know much about how life goes on in the states and we have lax enforcement. How do we educate people about these things (no chickens, no junk in the back yard, keep your alley mowed so the service trucks can get to the poles) in a culturally sensitive way when they never see an enforcement officer?

Should I just write a letter to the mayor (I don't work for the City)?

Registered
    Nov 2004

Those chickens immune to Flu then?

What about bird-flu? You lot are only condemning exurban dwellers to months of FEAR come the "epidemic".

In my minds eye I can see the tumbleweed rolling past the Llama corral and up against the Ford Explorer.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    What about bird-flu? You lot are only condemning exurban dwellers to months of FEAR come the "epidemic".

In my minds eye I can see the tumbleweed rolling past the Llama corral and up against the Ford Explorer.
    What about the sparrows? Won't somebody think about the sparrows?!

C'mon, we might as well ban children because they spread colds. Remove all the deer because they spread lyme disease. Eliminate dogs because they could be bitten by a rabid racoon and spread rabies. Kill all the cats because they are cats.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Jan 2011, 2:31 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Aug 2007, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jan 2005, 10:44 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Aug 2003, 10:20 AM
  5. Replies: 8