Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban Planning; in the office or in the field?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Urban Planning; in the office or in the field?

General question about working as a Planner for a City authority;

Do planners spend most of their time in the office reading and writing reports? Or do they spend a substantial amount of time out in the field examining sites?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I spend most of my time in the office. That said, much of my time is in hearings, in meetings, in the clerk and recorder's office, in the environmental health department's office...etc., rather than in front of my computer. I personally get out in the field about once or twice a week.

That said- once you've gotten the "planner eye", its really hard not to just walk around looking at the landscape when you're off the clock- noticing the sidewalks and the landscaping and the access points and the architecture and the geology and the water and the storm runoff and the 'vacancy' signs in the windows of downtown shops and the power lines and the street pattern and the parks and the trails and the agricultural fields and the wildlife... you get the picture.

Oh yeah- and I work for a county rather than a city.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm about 85% in the office. With some new hiring that I've been able to do, I will probably do a few more site visits myself instead of relying on the Building Official to catch everything.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Apr 2011, 9:08 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 11:07 AM
  3. Breaking into the planning field?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Feb 2010, 9:30 AM
  4. Getting into the planning field
    Career Development and Advice