Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career Questions...

Registered
    Oct 2005

Career Questions...

Hi, I'm considering a career move into planning. I presently work in civil and structural design and drafting and have some limited experience in site design. I have a BA in political science and sociology so I think I have an adequate background to make the next move to go for my MUP.

I found your website recently and I'm very impressed with the friendly and open feedback everyone gives. I hope that you can give me some food for thought.

I have a ton of questions so I'll throw a few out there for your response.

1. Given that there are many different positions for a person in planning, what would you say is the most satisfying and dissatisfying aspects of your job?

2. How would you compare the relaitive worth of an MUP compared to that of a bachelors?

3. What does the future hold for people in planning? Where is it all heading in the next 10-20 years?

4. How would you rate your job satisfaction and perhaps those associated with you?

I have many other questions, but I'll leave it at this for now. Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm chopping at the bit about the possibilities of this career move, but I've been around the block a time or two so I'm holding my breath until I get the scoop from people in the know.

Thanks again.

-ScottR

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Go into transportation planning. Anybody can do that work. Just ask Rumpy.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The most dissatisfying part of the work, for me, has been having to put up with some of the ridiculous politics. An example might be the Miami Wal-Mart, which was turned down despite being practically identical to a Target which was approved. Overall, though, I am very satisfied with my profession. I couldn't really imagine doing anything else.

Planning, and my specialization of economic development, are both likely to grow in the long term. Issues of local government funding have impacted many of us in recent years, and that is likely to continue in the short term. Limited city budgets and attempts to do away with programs like CDBG will mean miserly raises and lost jobs in some places.

Definitely get your masters.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Satisfiying - working with doers and seeing things that you have communicated and worked with people to think about get done.

Disatisfying - dealing with people with agendas that are based on greed and ignorance and having the public good usurpted by the political process.

Grad vs undergrewad - depends on where you want to end up and how quickly you wnat to get there.

Future - redevelopment, environmental assessments, heritage preservation, alternative dispute resolution

Job satisfaction - personally - low, in my department medium to low.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Entry level career questions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 3:23 AM
  2. Urban planning career questions
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 6:48 PM
  3. Career and MUP questions