Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 Noontime (Sickness) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 Noontime (Sickness) Question from Michaelskis

Well, one or two of you might have noticed that I was not online yesterday. It was because I was home sick with a bottle of water in one hand and an inhaler in the other (yes, this skier has asthma), all thanks to seasonal allergies. There were several people out of the office last week, I was out yesterday, and several more are out today with the same problem. But it could have been worse.

What is the sickest/most injured you've ever been? Have you had a serious illness/injury/fever that led to a Jerry McGuire moment?

Off-topic:
    Thanks to Maister for the revision
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    What comes to mind was last year while exiting the building I tripped on the stairs and stumbled headfirst into the door. Aside from the fact that it nearly knocked me out and gave me a moderate concussion, I had a very sore head for about two weeks, bruises on the top of my head and my shoulder and neck pain for a couple weeks. I had to get my head examined (something a few former girlfirends had suggested in the past) and a cat scan. I was out on sick leave for two and a half days. Fortunately my worker's comp covered everything. I would not recommend using your head to open a heavy exterior door.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I had a pretty bad skiing accident about 6 years ago. I was skiing through the trees at Snowbird on a deep powder day. The details I know about only because they were relayed to me by my friends who witnessed it. I was going pretty fast and was about to enter a large open bowl through a narrow opening between two trees. The only problem was that a tree had fallen between my gap of choice and been buried by snow, it wasn't huge, only about 4 inches in diameter. My skis went under and I went over the top. Apparently the tree was was much stronger than my bones.

I was knocked unconcious (the fall cracked my helmet), tore every ligament in my knee (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL), fractured the top of my tibia, and broke my wrist. I don't know what I hit my head on or how I broke my wrist. The good news is that it happendd in May and I was back skiing in November.

My question for you, did you clear your illness with your colleagues to make sure that you weren't putting a burden on anyone else?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Knee - twice in brace, if 3rd time promised surgery.
    Kidney Stone - surgery, reoccurance ?
    Hernia - surgery, recent injury limited activity.
    Blood Poisoning/Infection (stripe was visisible) from a bite - hospitalized
    Chest Pains - ER, held overnight for Cardiac observation and testing, likely GERD ?
    Last edited by JNA; 18 Oct 2005 at 1:32 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Gall stone lodged in my bile duct this summer causing hepatitis and pancreatitis, lowered liver function. Laproscopic removal of the gall bladder -- first surgery ever, happily wait another 45 years for the next one.

Fractured my wrist in two places and forearm in two places on a bad tackle at age 13. Casted from fingertips to armpits for 12 weeks (fortunately not in summer ). The orthopaed actually set the fractures by smashing my arm/wrist on his knee and announced x-rays to see if it set properly -- I informed him that he'd better have gotten it right, because he wouldn't get another chance to set it like that again. Probably the worst aspect of it is when they cut the cast off. The saw really freaked me out. Yikes!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Let's just say I had a biking accident when I was 12 that involved my bike seat flying straight upward. The accident required some surgery, and there was some uncertainty as to whether I'd be able to have kids. HA -- I now have four.

As for the sickest I've been, an episode of the flu in December 2003 and a bout of food poisoning in August 1998 rank 1 and 1A. In both cases I was feverish with chills, and couldn't keep anything down. Wtih both illnesses I lost about 15 lbs. in 48 hours.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Got heat stroke when I was in Death Valley and nearly died. I did not think I would live to see the next day.
    Hoewever, I did live and the experience left me changed forever. What is Important in life became clear to me for the first time on that day.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't have a spleen - and before all you smart-alecks say "but I thought you couldn't live without a spleen?" You can.

I had an enlarged spleen since birth as well as varicose veins in my stomach which lead to low platelet counts and internal bleeding. I had a few episodes when I was younger but after two 300km, ambulance trips from university to home in the fall of my first year - I thought it was just better to get rid of it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    I had a pretty bad skiing accident about 6 years ago. I was skiing through the trees at Snowbird on a deep powder day. The details I know about only because they were relayed to me by my friends who witnessed it. I was going pretty fast and was about to enter a large open bowl through a narrow opening between two trees. The only problem was that a tree had fallen between my gap of choice and been buried by snow, it wasn't huge, only about 4 inches in diameter. My skis went under and I went over the top. Apparently the tree was was much stronger than my bones.

I was knocked unconcious (the fall cracked my helmet), tore every ligament in my knee (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL), fractured the top of my tibia, and broke my wrist. I don't know what I hit my head on or how I broke my wrist. The good news is that it happendd in May and I was back skiing in November.

My question for you, did you clear your illness with your colleagues to make sure that you weren't putting a burden on anyone else?
    Yes I did. I told my supervisor that if anyone needed anything, I would have my cell phone on, and my laptop networked into the e-mail system.

As for accidents, I can relate with the ski accident. Lets just say that in 8th grade, the toe of my left ski boot came forward to kick the right side of my head during a ski race. It broke the helmet, snapped my ACL MCL, shattered my kneecap, and cracked a few with bones in a vertical manner. But at least they did not break. Although I did not realize it at the time, I also caused some slight brain damage when it comes to motor skills. I now have a twitch that gets worse when my Adrenaline starts pumping. It took me two months to learn to walk again... This happened on January 2nd, and I was back on the hill in mid April for spring skiing. I then had to have surgery on it a few years latter because they did not realize how much damage was done at first. It was too swollen to get good x-rays.

I was also hospitalized for a few days because of an asthma attack during my senior year of High School. Let’s just say it was not a fun thing. For a while, I was not sure if I was going to make it, and seeing all the doctors freaking out was worse than the attack it’s self.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    When I was just out of college, I had a water bed whose heater gave out sometime during the night. I was a little sick before, but after spending a night on a bag of cold water, I had 103 temp. The landlord called my parents who came and got me. I was delirous for 2 days before the fever broke.

When I was 7, my appendix nearly ruptured. Have a really nasty scar on my side from that one
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    2 years ago, a week after surgery, my doc was taking out the staples from my incision. When she got to the last one, the entire incision opened up. Since she couldn't enclose it because of the exposure, it had to heal and close on its own. That took 2 painful months to do so.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My most painful injury:

I've told this story on here before I think, but here it is again as best as I remember.

I LOVE waterskiing. I would do it everyday if I could. A friend and I were out on a waverunner on a lake being a tad reckless. I was on a kneeboard behind it (kneeboards are designed for 20-25mph). He was pulling me at about 60mph. I went outside of the wake as he turned the waverunner. Those of you that know physics can probably guess what happened. I got flung out a lot faster than I expected, likely in the neighborhood of 75mph. The kneeboard became unstable and I hung an edge. From what was described I skipped on the water several times before sinking down. I was KO'ed briefly but had on a lifevest. Some folks in a nearby boat came to help us and took me to the nearest dock. The impact with the water had literally torn the skin on my side. I had broken several ribs, a concussion, torn ligaments in my knee and severely seperated my shoulder. I had to get a hole stack of stitches and some pins in my shoulder.

I still waterski & kneeboard, but have to wear a knee brace. It took nearly a year of rehab on the shoulder before the doctor would release me to play again.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My worst injury was a car accident in high school when my mom's car was broadsided by a drunk at 10 a.m. I had glass embedded in me from the shattered windshield, and a broken collarbone.

I can't really remember any horrible illnesses, other than the typical bugs, and maybe food poisoning once.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Litany

Broken Ankle At 12.....Riding my bike on a small hill behind Westgate Shopping Center. Put my foot down crooked and broke the ankle. That was just a few days after school let out for the Summer. I had numerous casts, because I was so tough on them. The last cast came off a few days before school started in September.

Broken Toe.....Playing baskteball, a tall very uncoordinated dude stomped (on purpose) on my foot. Broke my toe. I grabbed him by the shirt and said, "Steve, I ought to kick your axx." He responded, "You gotta catch me first." (I already had a hold of him. The ridiculousness of what he said made me laugh and I let him go.)

Broken Arm.....Playing baksetball with the Highway Patrol, in the old Swanton High School gym. Cut off under the boards and fell on my arm. Didn't play ball for a few months but started running. Eventually lost about 50 pounds running and ran in 10K races, etc.

Radiation Therapy.....1996, diagnosed with Hodgkin's. Went through four (4) months of daily radiation treatments. Cancer went bye-bye until 2003.

Chemotherapy.....Hodgkin's came back in 2003. Went through 36 weeks of chemotherapy treatments. "The Attack Of Chrome Dome." With each Friday treatment I would miss Monday and Tuesday of the following week, at the workplace.

Son Of Chemotherapy.....No luck ridding the body of Hodgkin's, so was hospitalized for two (2) separate periods of 3-days each of 24-7 chemo, Summer of 2004. This was in preparation for a bone marrow stem cell transplant.

Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant.....Hospitalized most of January, 2005, at University of Michigan Cancer Center. Off work for about three (3) months. (Most BMSCT patients are off work for nearly a year. I did great! )

Pimple Pop.....In a bad auto accident in early 1970's. I was in back seat of a Mustang and when the driver hit the tree I pushed the passenger through the windshield. My forehead hit the windshield and the only thing it did was pop some pimples.

Obviously, a pretty quiet life.....health wise.....for this ole' Bear.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've generally been healthy, although bad habits will eventually (soon) catch up to me. The worst thing for me is I psychologically very much dislike doctors and the whole panoply of medicine (my dentist suggested I take an anti-anxiety pill before my checkups ). So, I tend to ignore things in the hope they will go away. I am 42. Things will not "go away" any more.

Other than psychological trauma, I've had a couple of years in the past with bad asthma. To the point where I needed to take a course of Prednisone to open myself up. Luckily, it's been a few years since I've needed this rather scary steroid. My other big thing is I have a swallowing problem where my esophagal muscles don't work right, and I can't swallow (the tube spasms and closes up). That's probably the scariest, most unpleasant thing for me. My mother has the same problem.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've broken so many bones and been in a hospital so many times it would bore you all to list them.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cut well and deeply by an errant Volvo heat shield, road rashed by a cow pie motorcycle combo, multiple broken bones, bits of Iraqi and aMerican frag in my arse and throat, shattered upper humerus, fell out of a tall airplane and broke a leg, broken hearts, occasional non-contageous rashes/blotches that would scare a lepper that are most likely service related, and a bad bout of consumerism in the late 90's.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 3:56 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 10:34 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Oct 2005, 7:12 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 4:20 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 12:19 AM